PI head swap and cam upgrade!!

SN95NickW

Reaction score
Hey everyone! im going to be doing a PI head swap to my 98 GT while doing so I will be also doing long tubes and cams. my question is what cams to go with! im looking for some with a nice lope to it, with decent power gains, the car will be N/A for a while and I will eventually be putting 3.73 in the rear. what are good cams to get for it?

98'Coco'GtVert

Reaction score
Hey everyone! im going to be doing a PI head swap to my 98 GT while doing so I will be also doing long tubes and cams. my question is what cams to go with! im looking for some with a nice lope to it, with decent power gains, the car will be N/A for a while and I will eventually be putting 3.73 in the rear. what are good cams to get for it?
If i were you bud I'd grab Modular head shops stage 1 head/cam combo, go for a stage 2 cam it has a nice lope for sure check them out on youtube!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Looks like modular head shop advertising to me!

OP and the reply both have 8post

Did mhs pay or contribute to this forum?

PinkieT

Reaction score
How much power is a $650 cam set or the $2,700 set of mildly modified head/ cam combo going to bring to the table vs. stock PI heads and cams?

going to add vs. stock PI cams?

sk8erord

Reaction score
I have comp stage 1 PI cams and PI heads with supporting mods and I put down 293 to the wheels on a dynojet. You can see my build thread in the build section.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

98'Coco'GtVert

Reaction score
How much power is a $650 cam set or the $2,700 set of mildly modified head/ cam combo going to bring to the table vs. stock PI heads and cams?

going to add vs. stock PI cams?
A midly modified head & cam combo should put a pi swap right around 290-296rwhp not bad though in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PinkieT

Reaction score
I have no doubt the Modular Head Shop pieces are good. Me, I have a set of brand new Ford Romeo PI heads and cams I scored for $700 to put on my 98. Modular Motorsports has a head and cam set for $1,700. How much extra HP is the $3,000 Modular Head Shop Stage 2 set up going to give me over my stock heads, and over the MM heads? Some of us are on a budget.

01yellercobra

Reaction score
I have no doubt the Modular Head Shop pieces are good. Me, I have a set of brand new Ford Romeo PI heads and cams I scored for $700 to put on my 98. Modular Motorsports has a head and cam set for $1,700. How much extra HP is the $3,000 Modular Head Shop Stage 2 set up going to give me over my stock heads, and over the MM heads? Some of us are on a budget.

Another thing to look at, how do those heads compare to Trick Flows? I think you can find Trick Flows for $2400. Granted they don't come with cams. But I'm of the mindset that I'll stick with smaller cams for now and get better heads if need be. Then swap cams later on.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I wish mhs still had their old grinds - they switched suppliers from bullet to comp due to the ridiculous backlog, it appears.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Comp a much better cam grinder. I will say Nick McKinney of mhs had the cam selection figured out tho

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone at Bullet left Comp and started the new company. Nick is gone..RIP. But Bill is still there and now the MODGOD.
And yes, Comp is the most advanced cam company in the world for now..I see the same advancements at Eagle and wonder who is stealing who's technology?
It would be fun to make a Ls engine with the new products from both, 30 HP for free with the new processes and I doubt it will ever dribble down to us Modmotor dirt people.

Last edited:

Silver95bird

Reaction score
Comp a much better cam grinder. I will say Nick McKinney of mhs had the cam selection figured out tho

Yes, I believe his tighter LSA would be great compared to the lazy 113-114. And he had specific 5.4L grinds with more overlap!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online