PI headswap

monkeydude3

Reaction score
well.... I think my most affordable option right now is to do a head swap to my car. It will cure my oil burning problem for now and also gain some horsepower... win win. Can't be supercharged now, but who says I can't once I'm done with school?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996...013QQitemZ230023856261QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I found this kit and think it's a great deal. My bottom end has about 145-150 psi compression on all cylinders... which is good. I have no blowby either. The only time it smokes is after the engine is to operating temperature (IE oil is thinnest) and when the car is idling, or after idling. These are the exact symptoms of bad valve seals.

So it's time to do a PI swap. I can totally do this, as it's completely within my relm of mechanical ability. One question though, where can I buy a thicker head gasket to retain near stock compression... I want to continue to run regular fuel.

Thanks all in advance

peace

George

97gtconv.

Reaction score
From what I've read about them they lower it back down to the 9:7 which I believe is the stock compression

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thats a great deal on the PI kit, that's the same link I have in my PI headswap thread.
http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=1292.0
It's the best price I've seen.

My cousin just had Ford install that kit on his car last week, he mentioned that the kit had every part and gasket that it needed, so that's good!

On the compression and that cometic gasket... there's WAY too much HYPE about that.
the modulars love high compression, it can be tuned to run either way.
even with a blower, you'll be HP limited by your shortblock before you have any issues from too much boost for the compression.

I ran the PI's and cams, no fat gasket for 3 years, pump gas - no problems.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
yeah but I want to be able to run regular fuel... ::sigh::

if there is no other way then I guess I'll deal wit it.

But as to the swap itself, has anyone done it? I talked to the ford tech who helps me out usually and he said it's not too bad, and I'm reading through my haynes manual and again it doens't appear too bad.

I'm not saying it's a cake walk to be done in an hour...

Just wondering a ballpark estimate, maybe a few weekends? Assuming I don't spend all of each day and accounting for any problems that may come up

George

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, I did mine, had help from a freind.
It took us 3 nights to get it all done.

You'll need helping hands to get the drivers side head back on, it's a PITA.

You'll need an impact and a few impact wobbleys, extensions etc.
Zip ties come in handy for getting stuff out of the way, and for tying up the head bolts that won't clear the strut tower durrning removal and install.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
All right sweet. I'll usually have either my dad or a gearhead friend with me when I'm doin the work. Or when I'm by myself I'll get as far as I can alone and then stop when I need assistance. So i'll need air tools aye.... I have a bunch of air tools but no compressor... should get one then... my grandpa wants to buy me one

as for the compression... if I install the thicker head gaskets I should be able to run regular fuel, right?

yellowgt

Reaction score
From what I've read about the PI swaps is you get pretty decent HP gains.

Good luck with the swap.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The swap isn't hard just long...took me a weekend first time with a friend. As far as not wanting to run Super Gas...i would just hold off on the swap then. The gaskets that lower compression are very expensive! last i saw was almost $200 and some people complain of leaks with them and they raise your heads up and alter the timing assembly slightly...

High compression and low octane fuel is just begging for detonation.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Well then maybe the few bucks a tank more for premium won't be a big deal

would you guys reccomend like a week or two before I tear the engine apart, to start running premium so when I do fire it up when I'm done, it's got the premium fuel in the lines?

BOOSTED98GT

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
On the compression and that cometic gasket... there's WAY too much HYPE about that.
the modulars love high compression, it can be tuned to run either way.
even with a blower, you'll be HP limited by your shortblock before you have any issues from too much boost for the compression.

I ran the PI's and cams, no fat gasket for 3 years, pump gas - no problems.

If he want's to run pump gas with a blower the safe thing to do would be to keep the static compression as low as possible to prevent detonation. Yes he can run it @ 10.3:1 if he wants, but for peace of mind the lower compression is a plus. There is a larger safety margin in case he would run into a bad tank of gas or have some other fuel problem. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online