PI Intake Swap *Help!*

garrittpwl

Reaction score
So of course my pretty much bone stock 96, started leaking at the aluminum crossover, so I ordered a PI intake(dorman) for a 2000 from a local parts store and the gaskets came made into it. Scares me a little because all the articles I've read talk either about using the NPI gaskets or one specifically (link) uses PI gaskets and fills the coolant hole with silicone.

Anyone ever ran into their PI intake manifold having the gaskets made into it? and do you think it would be okay to go ahead and fill the necessary area of the coolant passage with RTV as the article I linked talk about even though my gaskets are not seperate?

Here is what the PI intake I have looks like (gaskets made into it)
20170403_095718_zpsjhqpjgig.jpg

20170403_085014_zpsgcmrkbiv.jpg

Here's my coolant leak fyi.
20170402_150810_zpsyg0debch.jpg

and the car as a whole :/ It's getting warm, I wanna drive it!
20170330_133349_zpstupxxhhz.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Its unfortunate but you're going to want to send that dorman intake back. They take power away and the gaskets are crap. Either get an oem used or the ford racing intake.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Its unfortunate but you're going to want to send that dorman intake back. They take power away and the gaskets are crap. Either get an oem used or the ford racing intake.

Not a problem! I'm a manager at a body shop so returns are easy. Should I be leary of a used PI intake?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Not a problem! I'm a manager at a body shop so returns are easy. Should I be leary of a used PI intake?

A lot of people will tell you to stay away from used intakes, but the last one I got was from a crown vic in a u-pull yard. Got it for $30 and used it for 4 years. Just recently sold it to a buddy and he still runs it. Just get one that warranties their product and you should be alright.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What warrior said. People have had some miserable woes with the dorman intakes over the years

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
When my used PI intake died on my 98 gt I just bought the Ford Racing PI intake. The used one later a couple of years but it was a pain when the coolant nipple broke off at the rear of the manifold.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Your bone stock '96 will come to life with a true Ford pi intake!

Also the pi swap on to a npi head is a 2day process. The rtv setting up delays a quick turn around. You gonna want the rtv to dry since its a big blob.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Your bone stock '96 will come to life with a true Ford pi intake!

Also the pi swap on to a npi head is a 2day process. The rtv setting up delays a quick turn around. You gonna want the rtv to dry since its a big blob.
That is what I was hoping! It sprung a leak so now is as good a time as any to do the swap. Trying to find a used one ATM, really don't want to spend a crap ton on a brand new Ford Racing one. Also, as for the 2 day process, that's not a big deal as the car is garage kept and I will be doing all the work in my garage too.

Also does anyone happen to know which one of these I should be searching for? Seems there were 5 different PI manifolds :/
qjyUZdZ.png

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you're interested, I'll save you some headache and money. I have a Ford PI intake I'll let go for half the advertised price @ Latemodel Restoration [where I bought it] + shipping. Manifold has about 6k miles on it, but I totalled the car sooo... My loss your gain.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
Bump for a good seller
I saw his reviews on here and on ebay so I'm not that worried about it. I might have to hold off buying it until next week or so though, got a trip to Puerto Rico the last week of April that has my finances crunching right now :p

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I saw his reviews on here and on ebay so I'm not that worried about it. I might have to hold off buying it until next week or so though, got a trip to Puerto Rico the last week of April that has my finances crunching right now :p

Josef ( [MENTION=10188]white95[/MENTION] ) is a stand up dude. Ive bought a few things from him, and id do it again in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
So update, havent done anything with the car yet as Im still trying to acquire funds outside my upcoming vacation to fix this thing. I was just going over what all I would have to do on the car and I thought "boy that intake looks like the POS dorman I bought already...."

Sure as shit, further inspection revealed a dorman part number 615-178. Now do you think going from the to the FPP Manifold will be a noticeable difference? xD I sure do hope so. On a plus side the dorman on the car should have integrated gaskets so in theory it should make the cleanup job on the head easier.
ZpuhZKP.jpg

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
It's worth it. You can research a bit and there are dyno comparisons between the two. If/when you ever go further with heads and cams, the benefits will be even greater.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
garrittpwl

garrittpwl

Reaction score
It's worth it. You can research a bit and there are dyno comparisons between the two. If/when you ever go further with heads and cams, the benefits will be even greater.

:thumbsup:
Thanks for holding out for me but I was able to get the FPP intake through work brand new for only 50 dollars more and it's a payroll deduction :p. I was able to get everything else I needed through them too minus the injector o-rings. I'll update my old build thread in 3 days when the parts arrive and I tear her down.

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
I have a ford racing intake manifold with all injectors and fuel pressure regulator only on car for 80 miles. New gaskets included

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online