PI question!!

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
Ok Fella's and Ladies..Quick question..I have guy that live in my area that I caught up with on the streets, He just got a 1996 Mustang Coupe a few weeks ago...And he is clueless..I took a look at the Motor and I noticed that it didn't have the same Intake Manifold..It had the PI Intake ..Of course with the Alminum Crossover..My question is One..The motor got to have the PI heads right? or can it be used on NPI Heads as well..And Two.. How can I tell if its a New Edge Motor vs the 1996-1998 SN Motor.. Ex: Vin Plates? Something other then the Upgraded PI Intake Maifold..I've only came up with it can be used on 1996-1998 4.6L engines with PI Heads, with additional parts and modifications...
1.AM says it can be used with NPI...
2.Steeda says with PI heads...
I'm to the point I just want to know from the Engine Vin or Something more solid.
I've also read that If you do some Modifications to the motor..Like relocate the heater hose under the Intake Plenum for clearance and a few other you can use that PI on a NPI motor...The guy Jake will be soon joining the site as well.

Thx

talltim

Reaction score
I ran a PI intake and cams on my 96 4.6 for a while. The also made a NPI intake with the aluminum crossover as a replacement I think.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
There is a NPI with aluminum crossover. The PI intake CAN be used on npi heads. In fact it is a very common upgrade. You can look at the part number on the side of the heads down by the exhaust manifold. The npi heads will have a part number, 96 I think had F5 part number, and I think the PI heads say pi on them.

OP
OP
GMSMOKR

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
I looked at the Heater hose under the intake.. And it is not in the center of the block like the Npi intake.. It's like the PI's 4.6.. So now the question is has it been modded to fit the PI intake or is it a different motor all together? Other then the intake.. How can I tell? A motor tag or something?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I looked at the Heater hose under the intake.. And it is not in the center of the block like the Npi intake.. It's like the PI's 4.6.. So now the question is has it been modded to fit the PI intake or is it a different motor all together? Other then the intake.. How can I tell? A motor tag or something?

That heater tube gets changed when you do the pi intake swap. You can check the part number on the heads and that'll tell you if it has npi heads, and you can pretty much bank on the fact that if it has npi heads it is an npi engine. Now as far as the block is concerned, I don't know if there is a casting number on them.

OP
OP
GMSMOKR

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
That heater tube gets changed when you do the pi intake swap. You can check the part number on the heads and that'll tell you if it has npi heads, and you can pretty much bank on the fact that if it has npi heads it is an npi engine. Now as far as the block is concerned, I don't know if there is a casting number on them.
thx bro.. Where is that part number on the heads? And what type of number is it? The year of the heads? Or what..:)?

OP
OP
GMSMOKR

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
There is a NPI with aluminum crossover. The PI intake CAN be used on npi heads. In fact it is a very common upgrade. You can look at the part number on the side of the heads down by the exhaust manifold. The npi heads will have a part number, 96 I think had F5 part number, and I think the PI heads say pi on them.
Ok..Got it..They are NPI...Thanks again :thumbsup:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a nifty picture to help you distinguish between Intakes.

On the PI Intake the first runner goes to the Driver side.

On the NPI the first runner goes to the Passenger side.

This is the only way I know to visually check. It may not be true if it is a Dorman Intake though.

53simf.jpg

OP
OP
GMSMOKR

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
Yeah.. It's without doubt a PI intake Manifold.. Just seems pointless/ extra work without the Cam and Heads..Maybe this is what the previous owner did to it then.
http://youtu.be/Q3aTGbuCMQg

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Its really not a lot of work at all to do the manifold swap. You should be able to get everything apart in about 20 minutes. Change the heater tube in the valley, then the rest installs the same way. The only difference is the rtv for the coolant ports, if you don't let that set and seal up real good, you will have leaks. Ask me how i know lol.

OP
OP
GMSMOKR

GMSMOKR

Reaction score
Lmao.. What's the benefits with the PI intake .. Vs the upgraded NPI intake...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Lmao.. What's the benefits with the PI intake .. Vs the upgraded NPI intake...

@15 rwhp and power won't fall flat on its face at 4500rpms :)

Most will swap in the PI cams when they do the PI Intake also. Together you get a nice @25-30 rwhp for not a lot of money. Really wakes the NPI up.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
These guys provide excellent tech!
If one goes as far to swap out cams, ...heck the engine has to be torn down in the same manner,...might as well swap pi heads too!

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Those damn Ford and Anderson cam tools had people swapping cams without removing the chains back in the day. Thankfully they are not popular anymore.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I never had the chance to use one and probably dont want to. Youre right,..big headache

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.