Pi swap or full pi motor ?

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
So in searching, I've found an 05 pi motor complete, with only 51000 miles on it. Wondering what y'alls opinions are?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Do not buy any engine unless you hear it run!

The swap is a good one, but lets figure out what the desired end results are. Directly swapping will only gain you stock hp, although its an improvement over the npi its still stock.

So question here is.....what do you want? What are your future goals?

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Future goals are just more power and beastly sound. I've got a lock on pi heads for 100 bucks today. Just looking for opinions from the brethren on here.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I love to build, so I always vote PI head swap. If you went that far would you be doing rings and bearings? Then the big question comes in, how long are you ok with the car being torn down and do you have the facility to build an engine?

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
I love to build, so I always vote PI head swap. If you went that far would you be doing rings and bearings? Then the big question comes in, how long are you ok with the car being torn down and do you have the facility to build an engine?
I have three cars so time wise is ok but the spot to work on it is in? And not sure about rings and bearings

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
05 should have the latest version of 2V heads but that isn't exactly cheap but if its complete and in good condition it would be an easy drop in.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Low miles is a plus. Could source out a set of 3cc cobra pistons and get the valve notched. Swap them in annnnd.....then youll be ready

Thomas_W

Reaction score
Ive done both.. To the same car. Honestly, there was no noticeable difference imo. If it was me, i'd probably do the entire motor swap IF you can find a low mileage 2v motor.

Otherwise, I would just do some bolt ons to the non PI motor and some cams.

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Ended up just getting the pi heads for the swap for now. 100 bucks well spent

Norcalxsole

Reaction score
My friends 1996 Gt is PI swapped on the bottom end, only have 95k miles on it. Unfortunately he got into a car accident around his quarter panel and rear end. I drove his car before the accident, and runs tremendously great. I'm buying his car so I can swap his into mine since my car has at least 236k miles in it.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ended up just getting the pi heads for the swap for now. 100 bucks well spent

Sweet deal! Now how can we swap them pistons out....hmmmm? ...lol

Do you want to stay naturally aspirated more hp? Or forced induced? Which both lead to getting dyno tuned $$$. BUT Oh so worth while!

OP
OP
96laseredcobra

96laseredcobra

Reaction score
Sweet deal! Now how can we swap them pistons out....hmmmm? ...lol

Do you want to stay naturally aspirated more hp? Or forced induced? Which both lead to getting dyno tuned $$$. BUT Oh so worth while!
Gonna stay natural. And stlmustangs is close by for the dyno

MaxA

Reaction score
I just finished the pi top end swap, and you won't be disapointed! However that 100$ is going to turn into more like 500 real fast. You will still spend 250 on an intake, 100 on gaskets, 50 on headbolts, then there's motor mounts, machine shop work on the heads, etc. As far as difficulty wise, it's very easy. I'm 15 and i did it in my garage with no problems at all. I didnt do rings or bearings because my car only had 130k, so I'm not sure how difficult that's going to be. The end result will totally be worth the effort

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online