picked up some goodies, need some advice please

VulcanGT

Reaction score
hey guys. my deal with the ported 93 cobra intake fell through. the guy sold it before i could buy it. i went ahead and picked up a trickflow track heat manifold and some laughing gas last sunday, and ive got some U/D pullies on order. before i install it, i was thinking of getting a new camshaft. i dont really know a lot about cams or even the stock 5.0 cam, bu ive heard its decent for a stock cam. should i kep my stock cam, or should i get a slightly better one ? the car already has 3.73's, K&N FIPK, BBK O/R H pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, smog delete, transgo shift kit, 2200 stall, better plugs, Ford Racing 9mm wires with Accel cap and rotor, 96 cobra fiberglass hood, and 285/40's in the rear to get traction but i want to go faster :naughty: also, how hard is it to hook up an air/fuel ratio gauge and a nitrous pressure gauge?

forgot to add: i plan on spraying 100 ponies

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Re: picked u some goodies, need some advice please

OK I'm not all that hot on cams but I can tell you that with stock heads you do NOT want any thing big or over aggressive in duration. The stock 5.0 cam makes good power and tq, so ( I'm guessing here ) something with a little more lift like the E-303's lift should be OK and not cause probelms. I have heard that the baby crowler cams are a good stock replacement with no complications of power or tq loss :dunno:. Of course you could keep the stock cam and just add some 1.7 rockers to up the lift and give you another 10hp or so. I cant give advise on NOS I have never had it :'(

Spyder

Reaction score

i have the trick flow stage one in my 95 cobra and i love it. its has a good idle, good street manors, and it will rip when you get on it.

the e303 is garbage from what i hear, its better than stock, but for aftermarket there are alot better out there

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score

Spyder said:
i have the trick flow stage one in my 95 cobra and i love it. its has a good idle, good street manors, and it will rip when you get on it.

the e303 is garbage from what i hear, its better than stock, but for aftermarket there are alot better out there

you know I've had debates about the E-303 with a couple guys before, they heard the same thing you have.....but like I told them if it is crap then why do SO many people use it? ??? I ran it I'm my 91GT and made great power with a bolt-on stock block 5.0 ( 291hp / 308tq ) with stock Edelbrock RPM heads, I was very happy with it, but on the other hand I may have been better off with a custom grind, or something from a diffrent manufacture. :dunno:

OP
OP
V

VulcanGT

Reaction score
i thought about getting a trickflow stage 1 to match my manifold kit. do you have to cange anything to make it work properly? it says you have to modifiy your mass air flow on 50resto.com

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
VulcanGT said:
i thought about getting a trickflow stage 1 to match my manifold kit. do you have to cange anything to make it work properly? it says you have to modifiy your mass air flow on 50resto.com

you got me on that one :dunno:

OP
OP
V

VulcanGT

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
VulcanGT said:

you got me on that one :dunno:

it confused me, too. ive never seen that notice anywhere else that ive looked at that cam.

Spyder

Reaction score
im running a completely stock intake system from the maf to the intake with my trick flow stage one, all i ahve is a drop in K&N and it runs great

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
KEEP your stock cam, if your not going to do heads etc. Our cars can be a real bitch to get to idle good after a cam swap, there are lots of people out there that run a fully done car but still with the stock cam and they like it, yes you will get a bit more power but if your just doing intake without heads deffently skip the cam untill the time comes to install heads. thats my .02

wytstang

Reaction score
I concur with matt the intake and heads suck on ou cars not the cam......

OP
OP
V

VulcanGT

Reaction score
wytstang said:
I concur with matt the intake and heads suck on ou cars not the cam......

thats what ive always heard. i just wanted to verify it. id like to buy the trickflow cam, but i think im just gonna wait untill i can by some twisted wedge heads. thanks for all the replies guys :)

cornbread

Reaction score
the motorsports letter cams B,E,F and so on were designed to work with the stock e7 and gt40 heads. they really work well with them. when you go aftermarket heads then other manufactures cams have alot more options.

i ran the e303 cam for years and it was great. i prefer the trickflow stage 1 cam due to the split duration as it helps out the weak flow on factor heads...

jpajkos

Reaction score
On my fox I had a GT 40 upper and lower with a X 303 cam. my fox had a crazy ass idle man. People who look at it and hear and just be like GOOOOD DAYUM :D. Of course the Novi 2000 I had on it plus it was a stroked A4 347 block and ahhh hell i don't know and it made 483 at the wheels probably helped

DisturbedRacing

Reaction score
Keep the stock cam. Don't even think about a cam until you get heads. Put some 1.7 rockers on it and some good pushrods and call it a day. Spray it 125 -150 and have fun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online