Pics/info on my 4V swap.....as requested

Yellow4.6

Reaction score
Well I bought the motor which is a "less than 50" mile 03 Mach 1 motor from a salvage yard in Lima OH. The motor came out of an 03 Mach 1 5-spd (so it has the better crank), the car was a Ford test vehicle and then parted out.

I bought the motor minus tranny for $3500.00 and hualed it back.

To start the swap i did all the usual stuff to prep the car for the new motor. I had access to a lift.....thanks to a friends shop. We un-bolted the K member w/ the motor still on it and raised the car off the K member. Unbolted the 2V off the K member and used a Cherry picker to lift it off. And then just reversed the process w/ the 4V, I also added BBK LT's while on the K member. We also bolted up the tranny to the motor at this time.

Then we rolled the K member over to the car and lowered the car back on to the K member and bolted it up. This took 3 people to get it placed just right while lowering and adjusting the K member, but it saved alot of time.

After the motor was in we hooked up all the factory componets A/C lines, powersteering, heater hoses, battery cables, grounds, coolant hoses, and swapped the new throttle cable and cruise control cables. For the 4V swap you need both of these, your GT's won't work. All my GT accessories were the same as the 4V's, but the Mach motor had all the same accessories so they were new........so i just used those. I aslo bought all new coolant hoses and a new T-stat and housing.

As for the wiring and ECU.....I used the stock GT harness and the stock GT ECU, this ended up being much more cost effective and saved alot of time. You do have to lengthen some wire's. I decided to retain the COP's (looks much better), instead of using the coil packs. I also bought CPR fuel rails and installed a regulator. There is a kit to covert the return style and the returnless stlye fuel systems. I purchased a walbro 255 lph fuel pump as well.

Since i'm no wiring genius I enlisted the help of Modular Depot an had Ken B handle the wiring issues. Ken tuned the car as well.

All in all the swap is not bad, just make sure you have the correct parts for your swap, everything else is pretty straight forward.

I choose the Mach motor cause.....first off i wanted a 4V, but mostly because the Mach is the most powerful N/A 4V Ford has built. I had thought about a 96-98 4V but couldn't find a low mileage (wanted something less than 30K miles) motor to be had, they where all high miles. So i looked at 01 4V's again same problem. I didn't want a 99 4V cause of the HP problem and wanted to stay w/ a 4V out of a Stang. The 03-04 Cobra motors were too damn expensive.

So here's some pics:

Here's my old 2V:
HPIM0110.jpg

the new Motor:
HPIM0161.jpg

HPIM0162.jpg

HPIM0163.jpg

HPIM0179.jpg

HPIM0178.jpg

HPIM0182.jpg

HPIM0183.jpg

HPIM0184.jpg

HPIM0185.jpg

HPIM0238.jpg

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Great swap, I would have went with a Mach engine too, although I did get lucky with my 99........I had it for a week before It went to the dyno to verify what it was doing at the wheels. 272rwhp :banana: :banana: BONE STOCK, right on Par for the advertised 320 at the flywheel. I also called the 1-800 SVT number to see where the "fix" had been done at ( in PA )

Your car is AWESOME, its a sleeper having that strong 4 valve under the hood....it sheep's coating.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
thats noice....i didnt know you could reuse the 2V harness for the 4V though.

OP
OP
Y

Yellow4.6

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Great swap, I would have went with a Mach engine too, although I did get lucky with my 99........I had it for a week before It went to the dyno to verify what it was doing at the wheels. 272rwhp :banana: :banana: BONE STOCK, right on Par for the advertised 320 at the flywheel. I also called the 1-800 SVT number to see where the "fix" had been done at ( in PA )

Your car is AWESOME, its a sleeper having that strong 4 valve under the hood....it sheep's coating.

Yeah if i had info like taht on a 99 i wouldn't be opposed to it either. The deal was hard to pass up on a Mach motor w/ less than 50 miles ;)

I dyno'd 300 and 311 w/ a motor that wasn't broke in yet and 18" wheels w/ 4.10's......So i'm really interested to see what it'll do after some miles are on it.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yellow4.6 said:
Snakebit said:

Yeah if i had info like taht on a 99 i wouldn't be opposed to it either. The deal was hard to pass up on a Mach motor w/ less than 50 miles ;)

I dyno'd 300 and 311 w/ a motor that wasn't broke in yet and 18" wheels w/ 4.10's......So i'm really interested to see what it'll do after some miles are on it.

thats pretty good for the Mach engine and what few mods you have on it. Im jealous, you have a SWEET ride ^-^

Grey03GTStang

Reaction score
hey man nice swap!! hey i was wondering do you by any chance still have your jlt from your 2 valve set-up???? if so let me know.. im very interested!!

Downshift

Reaction score
Wow man that is awesome. Really cool that you did it all yourself. Looks really nice and it not being in a mach is a sweet sleeper.

OP
OP
Y

Yellow4.6

Reaction score
Grey03GTStang said:
hey man nice swap!! hey i was wondering do you by any chance still have your jlt from your 2 valve set-up???? if so let me know.. im very interested!!

I pretty much parted everything out and it's been sold already.

Thanks for the Comments guys :dancing6: I was alot of blood sweat and tears...but well worth it.

Daywalker

Reaction score
So, how much of your GT exhaust parts were you able to re-use? A local stop is telling me that the Cobra/Mach I headers will bolt right up to my GT Pro Chamber and cat-back. Is this true?

Quick96Mystic

Reaction score
Wow very nice work!

That's something to look at every night before you go to sleep :thumb:

whty98

Reaction score
Wow, great job on your car and what a find, a 50 mile Mach 1 engine for $3500, that's one hell of a deal. I've been searching for a 4V and all I can find are high milage over priced motors.

I thought that the 96-97 GT's and 96-98 cobras had the return style and 98+ GT had the returnless, but your's is a 98 GT with a fuel regulator so it must be a return type. Just wondering if anyone could clear this up. I have a 98 GT also and wondering if the 96-98 cobra engine would work without a coversion kit or if I need the 99+ 4Vs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online