PINGING

Demolisher

Reaction score
Ok when i acclerate somewhere in the engine i hear like a ratteling noise is that called pinging ? is my timing to advance i think its at 16* help me guys i hate the noise :slap:

Suspect

Reaction score
might be. ive always read that it sounds like marbles in a tin can. if so id bring the timing down or throw some high grade in.

ripper

Reaction score
Thast exactly what it sounds like. And its deadly bad for your motor. Try putting some 93 octang in it and see if it stops. If not you better do some timing. Could be alot of things though not just fuel or timing. Just a place to start. Dont drive it like that cause your beating the shit out of your rods and bearings. My wife put reg gas in her 95gt and it was pinging. Now I put 93 in and it still pings. :dunno:. It needs a good tune up and oil change so ill screw with it a bit and see what happens.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
Yes. Ping is bad. To describe this phenom, it is when the combustion chamber gets soo hot it causes the air/fuel mixture to detonate without spark plug activation. Usually a piece of carbon or gasket sets off an untimed explosion as the piston is on its way up to TDC. When this happens it's like wacking your piston top with a hammer. Not good. :help2: :slap: :noes:

But welcome to the SN95 5.0 parade of pinging engines.... Assuming you don't see the "Check Engine" light, try changing your gas octane, and where you buy your gas. If this doesn't work have a garage pull the codes to see if you have issues with O2, MAS or any other sensors. Could be low fuel pressure too. If you have codes let us know.

G/L! :thumb:

ryclef331

Reaction score
If you are running 16 degrees of timing and anything LESS than 93 octane you're an idiot. If you're running 16 degrees of timing on pump gas with a stock motor....you're pushing your luck.

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Yup 16 is really pushing it. I would set it at 10 and go from there. Anything more you better run high octane.
Not sure what your mods are but why did you set it at 16?

The Green GT

Reaction score
16* is too much. I run 14* in the winter, and run 12-13* in the summer and HAVE to run 93 octane.

9psi 98

Reaction score
I ran 14degrees of timing on my 88GT 5.0 and it was fine. It was just enough to wake it up, but I still ran 93 octane in it just to be safe.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
I ran 14degrees of timing on my 88GT 5.0 and it was fine. It was just enough to wake it up, but I still ran 93 octane in it just to be safe.
yEAH, 16* IS HIGH. fOX 5.0's can handle a bit higher timing than the sn95's

OP
OP
D

Demolisher

Reaction score
Well today i ran 93 octane and it still was pinging does that mean i have to lower the timing?

9psi 98

Reaction score
Did you give the 93 octane a chance to make it to the injectors. What I mean is, if you started with half a tank of bad fuel and then added good 93 octane, than you have a full tank of crappy 93 octane now. I'd keep my foot out of it so it won't ping and go for a long drive to get rid of that stuff that is in there and then fill up when you're almost empty, that way you'll have all good gas getting to your engine and a minimal amount of junk. It's another easy thing to try without breaking out the tools....unless you consider a gas card or your wallet a tool of course. 8) Is it pinging all of the time, when it's under load, or just at WOT?

NYC94GT

Reaction score
Demolisher said:
Well today i ran 93 octane and it still was pinging does that mean i have to lower the timing?
Are you tripping the Check Engine light?? I would lower to timing to 12* and see what that gets you. If that doesn't work then lower it to stock 10*. If no go, it is probably more to do with a sensor(s) than actual octane/timing.

Ponycar95

Reaction score
Clean your MAF and lower your timing to 12*
My car pinged for over a year before i cleaned the MAF and now it's gone.

mystang94

Reaction score
id would have to say bad fuel as well. not trying to join the bandwagon or anything but what the hell where u thinking running 16* of timing good lord. did it go kablooey yet. start at the factory 10* then go from there. i wouldnt go any higher than 12* just to be on the safe side. run good gas and run the crank out of it

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
With iron heads the car builds up to much heat so back the timing down to like 12 (with 93)at the most or you may lose you motor.

M

musclemustang94

You may have carbon built up or possibly a burt valve. Hows the power? If its still strong id say carbon build up. Carbon gets hot and causes the A/F mixture to ignite prematurely. Does anyone have a link to a site to use water to clean the carbon out of a fuel injected engine? You can just drip water into the brake booster hose right? i know with a carb you just spray over the top of the carb with a squirt bottle set on mist.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online