Pissed off dyno results

L

LR98Snake

I went to the dyno yesterday and I'm fucking pissed. I put down 250rwhp and 260tq. Bassani X pipe, flows, and 62mm TB. Usually there is a 15% loss from factory HP rating to real world, but this doesn't make any sense. Are my camshafts retarded that badly? I know that Ford has a tolerance leval that they gauge from when degreeing the cams. It's about to get hardcore in about 2 months.... cams, cam gears, bassani longtubes and catback, jlt intake with lightning MAF, and a tune.....Starting in about 2 weeks. Any suggestion as to where I can get some of this stuff for a good price, let me know. I've found cams for under $650 and a bass catback for about $450.

G

GREG@SN95

idk... somethings funny there...

you should defininately be making more power then that... the factory specs are to the flywheel and are underated...

factory cobra should make about 305HP 300ft.lbs TQ

I don't get why you're making less HP then TQ...

idk... something aint right

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ya thats a little low, you should have about 20-25 more than that, like said did you have a a/f read done? Do you have a fuel issue, do you have a clean air filter? What is the timing at?

blackfang

Reaction score
The hp is a little low, I agree. Just as a comparison when I had a K&N, mac h pipe, Magnaflows and 4.30 gears and all else was stock I made 273/263. I would check to see the last time the plugs and wires were changed, fuel filter changed, run some seafoam through her

For one I would junk that 62mm throttle body as it has proven to do nothing for our cars and some have even claim to lose power by it.

A Lightning Maf is also a waste of money. Our Mafs can handle a ton of hp(500+) and you should really be focusing on exhaust and gears. Bassani make midlengths not LT's. LT's would be a better choice.

OP
OP
L

LR98Snake

didn't get the a/f read it was an extra $25 and i didn't have it. I've got 4.10's as it is that 62mm TB was on the car when i bought it. I figured a JLT CAI with the bigger MAF and a tune would do fine. I just found a bassani exhaust system for 350 and some underdrive pulleys (Steeda) for a really good price. I think the timming is off. Yeah I'm going to get a K&N very soon and the plugs and wires are not even 2 months old. Seafoam is going in on Tuesday. I gotta save up for some long tubes about mid march. Thanks for the feed back.

S

scarface

get it tuned...not just dynoed. if there is something wrong they will no then.

G

GREG@SN95

LR98Snake said:
didn't get the a/f read it was an extra $25 and i didn't have it. I've got 4.10's as it is that 62mm TB was on the car when i bought it. I figured a JLT CAI with the bigger MAF and a tune would do fine. I just found a bassani exhaust system for 350 and some underdrive pulleys (Steeda) for a really good price. I think the timming is off. Yeah I'm going to get a K&N very soon and the plugs and wires are not even 2 months old. Seafoam is going in on Tuesday. I gotta save up for some long tubes about mid march. Thanks for the feed back.

http://www.mustangboards.com/modular-4-6l-tech/17510-why-not-upgrade-your.html

and gears can mess with the dyno readings as well

but definately get the A/F ratio checked and the timing

OP
OP
L

LR98Snake

See the local dyno was hosting a "Dyno day" 2 pulls for $50 so i jumped on it b/c it's the first dyno I've pulled with this car. It wasn't dyno tuned and timing wasn't an option for me. There was 1/4 mile time and dyno run on a MustangDyno.

blackfang

Reaction score
Gears can cause rwhp numbers to drop as I have been saying that for a few years. However, It's not that big of a drop though.

OP
OP
L

LR98Snake

That's funny b/c a good friend of mine has a 97 cobra with the same basic mods but w/ 4.56 and he's making 311rwhp

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
LR98Snake said:
That's funny b/c a good friend of mine has a 97 cobra with the same basic mods but w/ 4.56 and he's making 311rwhp

thats HIGH for a bolt on cobra

blackfang

Reaction score
Extremely high.

96-98 Cobras with full bolt ons might hit 295-300. With a SR intake you can see 315ish

97blackgt

Reaction score
hey i would be happy with your numbers, wish my car had those kinda numbers in her lol

jpajkos

Reaction score
LR98Snake said:

Thats funny cuz my buddies 96 cobra stock put down 259.4. He modded it with pullies cat back, mid pipe, 3.73s and he made 270 to the wheels. Basic mods are ok such as Cold air's and stuff like that but the best mods to make more power are a good mid pipe, long tubes, and probably some pullies. A tune will defiantly help. For an extra 25 bucks to get an air fuel print out is stupid. All the shops around here include that with your dyno. Thats really how they sell you a tune is to show you where your car is at and where it should be. My car stock put down 213 to the ground man and from my bolt ons and a mild tune to correc the air fuel i gained 50 to the wheels. I now put down 274 @ 309 torque. But I put some new parts on the help the car like a new MAF, Fuel filter, Walboro 255 pump, and some new plugs. Car runs like a champ. Check out Forcefedperformance.com Keith has one hell of a reputation for tuning cars and over 10+ years experience and schooling doing it. He helps companies like procharger, paxton and a few others develop there software and specs for there blowers by tuning them for those companies.

OP
OP
L

LR98Snake

jp that's cool and thanks for the site. The guy that does the tuning around here has been tuning and working on mustangs for the past 25 years and he writes his own software. He is tried and true and can do wonders to a terminator. I've seen proof of that. Looks like I'm going to get that car to breathe really good, long tubes and catback, I already have an x pipe. Then I'll get her tuned. The dyno was just to let people get there numbers so they could get an idea of what they have with what mods. You guys may have heard of him Amazon Tunning Solutions.

blackfang

Reaction score
I have heard of Amazone. Probably the best tuner around is is Tim Barth@ Modular Powerhouse.

I am still doubting those numbers. Something isn't explained in full detail to you or from you.

OP
OP
L

LR98Snake

Yeah man. I'm not happy. I was really close to selling my car and getting a 91 5.0 and an eagle talon tsi. At least with the talon 2k would get me in the 300 hp range.

S

scarface

LR98Snake said:
Yeah man. I'm not happy. I was really close to selling my car and getting a 91 5.0 and an eagle talon tsi. At least with the talon 2k would get me in the 300 hp range.
HAHA...yeah 300 hp for about 10 mins :) Not knockin you dude...Im a dsm man myself :)

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
you were on a Mustang Dyno and they tend to read a good 10% lower then a Dyno Jet depending on load settings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah