Piston Notching.

Downshift

Reaction score
Ok, I don't know anything about this really. I know the piston is cut to make sure the valves don't hit the piston but that's it. I have been looking at heads and cams and see this often. Has anyone here done this? How much did it cost you? And just for curiosity sake got any pics any other info? Thanks for the help.

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
iv done it by hand with a die grinder tons of times on quad motors but i think isky makes a tool to do it your self at home with a drill its expensive but how handy would it be to have when you needed it

Spyder

Reaction score
What heads are you looking at? THe only ones i can think of that require the pistons to be cut are the twisted wedges.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Actually i believe with the twisted wedge heads you will be alright, afr 165's will be fine too but afr 185's need to be notched. It also depends on the cam (not peak lift it is more to do with duration), rockers etc. Some people say that you should always check it no matter what because every engine is different and the tolerances are tight when it comes to piston to valve clearance . I have done a fair amount of reading about it today as i am trying to decide which way to go with my car :dunno: Maybe ill just stroke it and get new pistons too :naughty:

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Well just some cams in general and the afr 185s needing notching. Mostly just curious because I plan on getting AFR 165s here in a couple months.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
with the 165's i would think you should be alright as long as you dont get a radical cam. The total lift isnt what you need to watch for it is more to do with duration. Because when the chance of hitting the piston is the valve will not be completely open. You should be fine with the 165's but it still wont hurt to check (hurt much worse not too).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online