Place your votes for which route you would take..

Hybridbird

Reaction score
Well I'm to the point where I can do a major upgrade to my 98 GT.I want to have the PI swap done and the research I've done has come up with the following.If I buy an whole kit for the swap it will cost about $1300,plus shipping plus install labor because I'm just not that confident with my skills with the overhead cam heads.I was looking over at www.mpssalvage.com and for the same $1300 I can get a used 99-00 engine complete sans accessories.That I can install myself since it's just a R&R I've done that before.I'm sort of leaning towards the engine because it will be a little newer withhopefully less miles than mine and will already PI.I also saw that they have 01-04 engines but they are $500 more,do you guys think this is just because they are newer with less miles or is there a significant advantage to the newer engines?My last 2 questions then I'm out I swear,could I accomplish the same goal with an engine out of a newer F-150?Because those may be a lot easier to come by locally. Which ever I choose,am I required to swap the ECU or can the adjustments I need be accomplished with a tuner/chip?Thanx for the read and all views/comments will be considered before I proceed.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
yeah, the truck engines are different..im not sure how different, but i do know they come different intake manifolds...

you can just swap in a PI engine and still use your ECU, you have to put on your fuel rails and figure out a place for the water temp sensor...just remember that the 00-01 will probably come with the plastic intake, so there is another 100+ you have to spend on an aluminum one. and just FYI, 99-ealy01 is windsor and late01-04 are romeo.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well between the headswap and engin swap, the engine would save you the $$ of install and stuff you mentioned, and do the engine yourself.
your compression won't go up either, so you won't have to mess with that, but you won't make quite as much power NA. probably gain about 30 HP or so.

F150 engine - I dunno, how much other stuff you'd have to convert?
time and money for parts?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I like the engine swap option since its easier and you won't have to degree the cams etc. The 99/00 GT engines are basically the same as the 01-04 except for being made in different plants and a few small details such as 8 bolt crank and all plastic pi intake.

The 4.6 out of the F-150 is exactly the same except for the intake. If you can get one cheap locally and then buy a new PI intake you will be good to go and your current computer will work just fine as long as you keep your current fuel rails and coil packs and not use the COPS from the new engine. You don't even need to get a tune but you would benefit from one.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
All hell if you want a F150 engine.......get one out of a Lightning ^-^

seriously get a motor out of a 99-04 PI engine, it will save you money and you will have the same parts as a PI swap on your existing engine.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
I like the engine swap option since its easier and you won't have to degree the cams etc. The 99/00 GT engines are basically the same as the 01-04 except for being made in different plants and a few small details such as 8 bolt crank and all plastic pi intake.

The 4.6 out of the F-150 is exactly the same except for the intake. If you can get one cheap locally and then buy a new PI intake you will be good to go and your current computer will work just fine as long as you keep your current fuel rails and coil packs and not use the COPS from the new engine. You don't even need to get a tune but you would benefit from one.

That's interesting.
Is the rods/pisotons the same?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
DropTopPony said:

That's interesting.
Is the rods/pisotons the same?

yup, cams and all...only difference is the intake...thats where everyone who is doing 3V swaps are getting the engines from...junkyard F-150's.

Pennywise2

Reaction score
If you look around you can find a PI 99-04 GT engine for a
decent price.I would just do the engine swap and be done
with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online