plans for engine and blower setup, give me your input

monkeydude3

Reaction score
I am doing my research now. Over this winter and next summer I plan to build me a forged motor, and then swap engines and install the blower.

My goals are at least 10 psi out of an intercooled vortech supercharger, with 400+rwhp.

Let me know what compression ratio and boost would be good for my setup, to run with pump gas. I don't want methanol injection or anything of that sort.

Who sells good internals? I found an ebay store that offers a mahle kit of a forged crank, rods and pistons with dishes for about 8.5:1 compression. This be a good plan? I am going to be ordering a brand new block from ford racing to be the core of my beast.

Again, not looking for an insane monster, just looking to make the car drastically quicker than stock.

What gauges are good with a blown setup? I have a two gauge pod now (came with the car) on the left, with a light show air/fuel gauge and a mechanical oil pressure gauge. I was thinking about getting a 3 pod pillar and adding boost over there, and then getting the replacement gauge cover that goes over the stock gauges that ads one more one each side, and getting oil temperature and something else.

Any input, let me know. I'm planning it all out now, and want all the info I can get. Thanks!!!

S

scarface

you should be able to get that with the stock bottom end on a PI engine or a cammed/intake nPI easily. As long as you have all the supporting mods and a good tune.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
well I think I'm gonna build me a good strong motor. I don't want any "it should hold its"

I am taking engine's class righ tnow and as I learn I'm gonna start buying pieces to the puzzle... block, rotating assembly, etc and then build it myself.

I figure if I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it right. :)

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
the stock assembly can push 400, with a good tune.

If you want to do the shortblock, it's a good idea to lower the compression if you're gonna blow it.
Mine is going to be 9:1

For rotating parts there's a number of suppliers.
VT Engines
Livernois
Powerheads
there's a bunch of others.

You're stock block is good to 1000 HP.
or you can get a shortblock, that comes to you all balanced and assembled. it's up to you which way to go.

You'll definately wanna do PI heads if you don't have already, and I'd throw in blower cams to while you're at it.

Is that what you were looking for?

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
yeah... I am gonna be buying a ford racing 4.6 brand new block... as opposed to machining my old one. This also means I can build the motor then swap.

Thanks for the info... I can't wait to get started on this project.

So for heads, you wouldn't suggest I go get aftermarket ones? Should I port/polish a set of PI heads and then put the blower cams in there? I was thinking stage 2.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I definately would.
Porting the PI's or the SVO's are your only option.
Most heads you see are just ported PI's.
Porting helps alot, especially under boost, cams as well.
there's various cam specs, I personally like the Crower cams, but there are others.
You'll want a supercharger grind, I'd pick a supplier and call them for more info.

If you're getting them new, you can have them do the porting and install the cams, then you just bolt them on.
That's how I did my ported PI's and cams a few years back.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
You're stock block is good to 1000 HP.

Ummm... 1000hp from a stock block??? I thought only A4 blocks can handle that much?

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
its a mod motor. block is much stronger compared to the pushrod 302

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
514 rules!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Ya thats right!! hmm wonder if i could put a 514 in the stang.... :nonono:

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Ya i might have to. Think they would notice that it was not a stock 302 under the hood anymore when i popped it open? :hammer:

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Im surprised they can hold 1000hp.... Thats quite a lot for street use... well maybe not..... :comando:

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
blocks are much stronger because the lack of pushrods. The block has much more strength to it because there is basically more solid (dont know how to word it)

CanaryGT

Reaction score
It makes sense.... kinda pisses me off that mine is so weak, but what can ya do? I really dont have to worry about it anyway seeing how im broke and I cant upgrade my beauty... :'(

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
dart or other aftermarket block is what ya can do. They aint as cheap as a stock 302 block though :lame:

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
i'm only seeking 400-500 rwhp... but i don't want stock internals, i want to have it almost tuned down to be safe.

:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online