Plasti dip cleaning? - Focus

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Want to plasti dip the wheels on the focus, gunmetal with silver flake.

Anyways, how do you clean it?
I've only done badges and other stuff that never really got very dirty.
I'll be dealing with brake dust and salt during the winter.

Any tips? :)

The stuff I've seen so far is you can just spray some all purpose cleaners like simple green. Or to use soap with a soft brush?
I've seen people recommend a soft cloth to wipe, but I know that will start to take the dip off.

Don't recommend something I'll have to ship.... its not worth shipping cleaning products to canada.

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I always spray tire shine on it and it shines real nice. Otherwise it dries and looks faded and dull.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Sinned83

Reaction score
Blame Canada!

Seriously just use an all purpose cleaner if your concerned about it messing up the finish dilute it some and don't let it sit to long.

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
I had my old wheels white for a while and Id just go to the car wash and spray the **** out of them with the pressure washer. Worked fine for me

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So they're really not that bad as some people make it out to be?

Regular cleaning is the key?

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I just found if you don't try them with a towel they will try all dull and look faded.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gun metal and silver flake ordered!

Now looking for lug nuts...
Found some nice blue gorilla from summit, but I'm not paying like $80 shipping on a $25 order. ****.

Ferocious hows the sickspeed lugs?

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Gun metal and silver flake ordered!

Now looking for lug nuts...
Found some nice blue gorilla from summit, but I'm not paying like $80 shipping on a $25 order. ****.

Ferocious hows the sickspeed lugs?

They're ok. If you get colored ones, make sure to never use an impact wrench to remove them. Always remove them by hand or the coating will flake. They are lightweight and look fancy, which is pretty much all I care about. Plus the price is pretty good.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They're ok. If you get colored ones, make sure to never use an impact wrench to remove them. Always remove them by hand or the coating will flake. They are lightweight and look fancy, which is pretty much all I care about. Plus the price is pretty good.

Are they Al or steel?

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
regular cleaners will do a good job, my white ones seem to stain a bit but I don't wash them much, scrubbing usually cleans them up good. After a few weeks don't be afraid to rub them with a cloth, it shouldn't mess them up.

Also buy some Meguiers spray wax and use that on them, it'll make the dip much more slippery and should help keep them clean.

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Be sure and coat your wheels front and back. They will peel up around the edge of the spokes if you don't. Had a friend not listen and try and cheap out and his started peeling about a month later. Spray wax does make cleaning plasti-dip stuff a lot easier and keep it better looking longer.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
its not gonna start peeling just because you don't dip the rear of the wheel. he probably did a poor job at prepping them.

chris91

Reaction score
Youd be amazed how strong Plastidip is. I have had my Mach 1 Chin Spoiler done in it for over a year now. Its been washed every which way and nothing has happened to it.

Saint

Reaction score
There is a video of a guy with an all white plasti dipped audi...He threw big globbs of mud all over it then pressure washed at close range with no problems. I'd just use soap and water.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Meguiars ultimate interior detailer spray, and a rag.. Spray on wheels, wipe till clean. done

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Oh and FYI I had my bullitts dipped from last August until march, through a tough winter with boat loads of salt and snow.. Only dipped the face, not the inside of the wheels. Never peeled

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Oh and FYI I had my bullitts dipped from last August until march, through a tough winter with boat loads of salt and snow.. Only dipped the face, not the inside of the wheels. Never peeled

its not gonna start peeling just because you don't dip the rear of the wheel. he probably did a poor job at prepping them.

Did you use spray cans or spray it from a gun? We did my buddies wheels when we did the rest of the car and maybe we didn't get it thick enough or maybe it started peeling from washing, but the wheels were spotless when they were dipped. Lasted about two months before they started peeling off the edges of the spokes. Rest of the car has held up fine and still looks good.
1978770_10201603019857305_1628842740_n.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online