Plastidip pros

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
Ok guys ive used plastidip a few times. But I'm getting ready to do the entire car. Through my old attempts at minor things ive noticed its hard to pull the tape off without pull in the dip off. How doin get the masking tape off without ruining my hard work?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1bad9d5

Reaction score
Great question.. I'm thinking about doing the same... Hope somebody has an answer

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

sleepn_sn95

Reaction score
Youve got to pull it off while the dip is still slightly wet. If its fully dry it will just pull it all up

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
That's what I was thinkin but I wanted to get some veterans opinions

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
yeah if the tape is touching the wet dip you'll need to pull it before it dries, but a lot of times you can tape along a natural line where the dip will cut itself.

9838stang

Reaction score
Here is what you do.
you need
1. pinstripe tape (same stuff at autozone or oriellys)
2. blue painters tape (both 1/2" and 1" size)
3. n number of drop clothes to reduce over spray on the car
4. razor blade
5. heat gun
6. mircofiber cloth
7. plasti-dip

Once you have all of those items, plan out what kind of design you want. Use the pinstripe kit to mark off your design. the pinstripe is going to give you the sharp line that you are looking for. once you have your design use your 1/2" painters tape to mark where the stripe or boarder is going to be laid down. once you laid the 1/2" down go back over with the 1" to help give the area you dont want painted.

Once you have the lines down use the razor blade to cut the tape at the door jams and the hood etc. Use the drop clothes to help reduce the amount of over spray. Lay the desired color dip down. let it dry for an hour. Once it is dry, take everything off accept the 1/2" tape and the pinstripe. Here is where you get the sharp lines. With everything clear, go over the dip with the heat gun while pulling the 1/2" tape off and the pinstripe. be careful not to stay in one spot or you will cause the dip to strink. All you are doing is making the dip hot enough so you can "rip" it apart. While lifting the tape in the direction you are moving, use the heat gun to help the dip stay on the car in a fluid back and forth motion. I also moved with the tape while it was coming off of the car. If the dip does have an imperfection or two go back over it with the heat gun and used the microfiber to dab it back down. do this at the same time.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
No need for pinstripe tape. Just use regular old painters tape. You can let the dip dry between coats, but on your last coat you do need to pull the tape while its still wet. It will leave a clean line everytime if the tape is removed in time. Pinstripe tape is only needed for tighter designs... And you'd still need to pull it before it dries... Unless you want to sit there with a heat gun...

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
Dipyourcar.com informed me to do it correctly peel the tape off slowly when the dip is still wet. Im so ready to do my car. Going with matte red and gold wheels. I love red and gold together.

9838stang

Reaction score
No need for pinstripe tape. Just use regular old painters tape. You can let the dip dry between coats, but on your last coat you do need to pull the tape while its still wet. It will leave a clean line everytime if the tape is removed in time. Pinstripe tape is only needed for tighter designs... And you'd still need to pull it before it dries... Unless you want to sit there with a heat gun...

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

When the dip dries, the painters tape and the pinstripe help give it that cleaner line when being removed with the heat gun.

Did you dip your whole car? How is it so shiney

Like everyone else said I just did the fender stripes

OP
OP
R

RonBurgandy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Idk how many of you dip stuff but can we get or make this a plastidip questions thread? Or maybe a pinned questionnaire

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
We did my buddy's Talon. We started pulling tape just a few minutes after we sprayed it but as it started to dry more, we used razor blades to help get our lines. Didn't have any issues but most of the stuff we were pulling up were also on hard lines (like the wing, by glass, etc). Came up pretty easy and pretty clean. Did the wheels before we did the car, we didn't mask them and waited for them to dry before going around lightly with the blade and pulling, didn't have any real issues that way either.

1522066_10201713091009015_26060493_n.jpg

Jimzstang

Reaction score
Plasti Dip is becoming uber popular! A designated thread would be sweet.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online