please help! i need a clutch. NOW

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TxCobrA98, Mar 5, 2007.

1. TxCobrA98

TxCobrA98 Legend

hey guys, hopefully this time a few of you will chime in on this. i need a clutch im almost positive.. my dad said since we have to do the throwout bearing, we might as well do the clutch. i like his thinking. guys, please help me on this one.. i want to stay UNDER or AROUND 250 bucks.. that doesn't mean 299 dollars... please help. i like the SPEC clutches and i want the stage II but i can't find it for the price i found it a few weeks ago of about 249 or something. please help me out on this one guys! i reallly need the help because pretty soon, I will not have a car to drive because we are doing the intake gaskets and the throwout bearing and we are waiting to buy a clutch.

any suggestions.. 250ish bucks and below?

2. 94twinscrew

94twinscrew Active Member

If you cant find the spec stage 2,then I would look into the King Cobra's with the upgraded pp....I was in a pinch last time,and that was the only one I could get the same day. I've had it for the past two years,and it's taking over 550 ftpnds of torque.....so I'd say it's a keeper for now. I don't run slicks anymore though......though the guys over at MM said it would handle it. :dunno:

3. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

yep, King Cobra is the win for the price. :pimp2:

4. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

another vote for the cobra

5. 95KBGT

95KBGT Legend

call HPP bro, tell them what you want, what your spending limit is and they can fix ya up. also try to get that flywheel turned as well

6. TRUUBLE

TRUUBLE -Never Forget-

Gotta disagree. The King Cobra lasted a total of 2 months in my car.

The ONLY clutch I recommend is the 6 puck sintered iron piece from Ram. It's all the clutch you'll need for the track, but very driveable on the street. And . . . about the same price wise as the King Krapra.

7. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

uhhhh, what did you have in front of that king cobra? Not 4 or 5 hundred HP I hope :D if so, no wonder it didnt last ;D

8. TRUUBLE

TRUUBLE -Never Forget-

My car was well under 400rwhp at the time. That was on my stock motor with an s-trim . . . on 305/45/18 Nitto DRs

9. TxCobrA98

TxCobrA98 Legend

wow guys, thank you sooo much for responding so quickly to this thread! so where is the best place to pick up a king cobra clutch? when i get back home, ill probably be up all night looking for it and researching the clutch kits.. is there anything specific in the kit i need such as the alignment tool (i think thats what it as called) and any other stuff? what about like clutch quadrants? i need everything at once so my car isn't down for longer than the weekend... sorry but i need some help! thanks guys for the responses, and Paul, i may give HPP a call aft school tomorrow man. thanks.

10. 94twinscrew

94twinscrew Active Member

:dunno: maybe it can be chalked up to bad luck.....kinda like when i went with my Spec stage III....only lasted a month. I know it's only a matter of time for my KC,but that's why I havent put dr's back on,it's better to just break loose,than break somethin.lol

11. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

the alignment tool comes with the clutch...at least it did with mine. I forget where i bought mine though, it been almost a year since i have had mine. and you dont need a quadrant or firewall adjuster, but they are nice upgrades. i have a brand new UPR triple hook quadrant ill sell you for $20. O0

12. 95KBGT

95KBGT Legend

you will need a piolit bearing...and puller...

13. TRUUBLE

TRUUBLE -Never Forget-

Do a search on Corral re King Cobras before you buy one.

Trust me on this.

14. 97blackgt

97blackgt Well-Known Member

i heard something about new dowel pins when u buy a king cobra clutch? was this just talk or is there something else needed?
    i also got the king cobra but havent installed it yet

15. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

i think there were two versions, on that had problems with that and one that didnt...or maybe it was something about someone making a copycat of the real king cobra that had problems. :dunno:

16. 97blackgt

hmmm what are the copycat brands? anyone buy one?

17. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

the ford parts guy over on SVTP sells the king cobra for $159. O0

18. TxCobrA98

TxCobrA98 Legend

ill see if i can find him but im going here in about 2 hours to pick up my King Cobra clutch @ a local speed shop.

<a href=http://www.lonestarperformance.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=274&cat=38&page=1>Lonestar Performance</a>

I know i still need the alignment tool but im going to see if they have one there...

19. M.O.E

M.O.E Active Member

The KING COBRA is a good clutch! But it does NOT come with a alignment tool. And the TOB is crap don't use it!

Get a timken tob :thumb:

20. 97blackgt

why is the TOB garbage?

ouldnt it be the same as the factory TOB?