PLEASE HELP!!! No power after PI intake swap

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I did do all of this. Unless I have an injector plug out of order then it should be fine but each one lines up with where it was and wires are stick factory and numbered as are could so hard to mess that part up.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
You didnt pull the wires off the coil packs did you? Have you pulled the plug wires off the plugs one at a time and checked for spark? You could stick an old plug in the wire and ground the side of it to watch for spark.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
You didnt pull the wires off the coil packs did you? Have you pulled the plug wires off the plugs one at a time and checked for spark? You could stick an old plug in the wire and ground the side of it to watch for spark.
I did, one at a time, pull each off the coil packs and put dielectric grease on each one.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
I give up for now. Tried resetting the idle control and tps. All to no avail. Has to be vacuum leak imo. Guess I'll tear it all down again to it's base tomorrow and if that doesn't work then it's new engine cuz I have spent at least 40 hours on this at this point and it's not worth it anymore.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I had something similar when I did the plugs on my edge. You have to pull the intake so I thought it wasn’t resealing cause the car ran like shit after new plugs and coils.

Ended up being a plug with a cracked porcelain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Get a timing light and try putting it on each plug wire to be sure its firing if you do not want to disconnect them to test it for spark.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Don't have a timing light unfortunately. I'm gonna take it all the way down again today so I can get to the rear two spark plugs on passenger side. If it still runs the same after taking it down and re doing it then I am just going to try to repair the crack with some jb weld or similar epoxy on the old npi intake. Can't believe this has become such a nightmare....not exactly a difficult job so it's just confusing as hell that it would be this big of a pita.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Bought a vacuum tester at hf. I'll post results shortly

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Pulling 20 vac at idle. Dead on 20 psi zero fluctuation straight off the back of the plenum.

Pulled the fuel rail. On injector 1 I had an o ring put above the yellow spacer and it should be below. Would that do anything like this?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
If an injector isn't hooked up and sealed to the fuel rail it could definitely cause the issue. Did you replace all of the O-rings? From what I read they are strictly a one time use

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Get a new set of rings. Put a dab of oil on them before you go to seat them and they should slide in easier.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
If an injector isn't hooked up and sealed to the fuel rail it could definitely cause the issue. Did you replace all of the O-rings? From what I read they are strictly a one time use
Yes I replaced all o rings

I replaced all o ring and put small amount of siliglide on each. All plugs done now too took it down to base again. All looks perfect. Runs exactly the same like on 6 cylinders.
I just now went and used jb weld on the old intake and will reinstall it tomorrow unless someone has something new to add. I can't have a vacuum leak if it's pulling at 20psi right?

Last edited:

outdare

Reaction score
Did you disconnect the fuel lines? Have you checked your fuel pressure? Your fuel pressure reg could be bad. Check the electrical connections again. Our 98 ran like crap when the valve cover breather tube came loose on the driver's side.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Did you disconnect the fuel lines? Have you checked your fuel pressure? Your fuel pressure reg could be bad. Check the electrical connections again. Our 98 ran like crap when the valve cover breather tube came loose on the driver's side.

Unfortunately I don't have a fuel pressure tester. Double checked everything yesterday and tore it all down and reinstalled the old non pi intake. Same thing with old intake so has to be something I did. Either clogged injector or I messed up the throttle body when cleaning.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
a clogged injector will show up as a temp difference on the headers and the plug would have smelled like fuel. I think you can rent/borrow a timing light from vatozone to test for spark or have we tried just disconnecting the plug wires one at at time to see if it changes?

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
a clogged injector will show up as a temp difference on the headers and the plug would have smelled like fuel. I think you can rent/borrow a timing light from vatozone to test for spark or have we tried just disconnecting the plug wires one at at time to see if it changes?
I have tried unplugging injectors one at at time. None of the plugs smelled like fuel though yesterday. I do have an infrared thermometer which seemed to register pretty steady temps down the header but cylinders 4 and 8 are really tough to get to from the hood. Suppose I could nack it up and remove wheels and do from there.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
When I pulled each injector at a time the engine stumbled badly each time.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Do you have any way to datalog? At this point Id say its your best bet for finding whatever isnt right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdare

Reaction score
While your getting the other tool get the fuel pressure tester. I bet your loosing pressure at the higher RPM. Just not enough to send a lean code. Also you can check the TPS on the throttle body. If it failed it would do something like this. I had this happen on a 99 procharged f150 5.4l. I had to preload the TPS when reinstalling it.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
have you tried unplugging the spark plugs as well as the injectors? Stumbling while disconnecting the injectors tells me it has fuel but we still do not know if your missing spark on one or two cylinders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online