Please Help

Asspire

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what speaker sizes I need for the front and rear in a 1996 GT convertable with the Mach 460.
I have been searching forever and I have not been able to find a solid answer. Crutchfield gives me like 10 different sizes.
I am extremely frustrated and any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know how you feel man, I have the 460 also and have been on the hunt for the correct harness to put in a aftermarket cd player ( finally got the right answers) however in your case are you aware that you cant change speakers because of the diffrent ohm rateing? ( thats what I've been told anyway)

OP
OP
A

Asspire

Reaction score
I was planning on replacing everything. I already Have a new headunit and I just got in my Diamon Audio 4 channel amp. I just need to know the speaker
sizes so I can order those.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Asspire said:
I was planning on replacing everything. I already Have a new headunit and I just got in my Diamon Audio 4 channel amp. I just need to know the speaker
sizes so I can order those.

ahh, ok well I have always used 6 1/2 in the front doors and 5x7 in the rear deck. I had the component system from infinity in my 98GT that had the separate tweeters and a crossover that went in the door along with the 6 1/2 speaker.

OP
OP
A

Asspire

Reaction score
So 6 1/2 in the front and 5x7's in the back without any modifacations ?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Asspire said:
So 6 1/2 in the front and 5x7's in the back without any modifacations ?

man its been so long ago I cant say for sure what I had to do. I know I didnt cut anything, I may have used a adapter plate for the front but the rears should drop right in.

97WhitePony

Reaction score
the who car is 5x7s... the adapters will be needed if you move up to 6 1/2s

OP
OP
A

Asspire

Reaction score
Even though Its a vert they are all the same ?
Because on crutchfield it says the rears are 5-1/4 and the fronts are either 6x8's or 6-1/2's.
I keep getting tons of different answers. And this is why im really confused.

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
5-1/4 will work in the doors, 6.5" will work in the doors, the stock is 5x7 but they are garbage and sound like crap. It is very easy to make 5-1/4 fit and pretty damn easy to make 6.5" fit as well.

Here is a very poor pic of my setup:
476183_30_full.jpg

(LOL at that scabby wiring, that was just temp at the time haha)

You can see the white plastic part, that is what the stock 5x7 is screwed to. All you have to do is make a small plate that screws over top and mount your speakers there I have 6.5". With 5-1/4" they SHOULD just fit right into the stock plastic mount and you wont have to modify anything, if you do all you will have to do is make a simple plate like I did which I DOUBT you will have to with 5-1/4" speakers.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online