Plugs plugs plugs and more plugs

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Alright ladies and gents well needless to say i think i overlooked this greatly and never bothered but figured id get everyones opinions. Currently running ngk tr6's with the oem plug gap but from what I've read in the 4.6 mod motor building book that the recommended gap is 0.035 in naturally aspirated set ups. Currently there set at 0.059 If i remember right. Any down side to running the gap this huge is it fine ? I thought i did good until i remembered there a step colder as the old plugs were gapped all over the place with tr6's

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
N/A .059" gap is no problem as long the mixture is homogeneous.
Ways that kill mixture....ported smooth heads, leaky injectors, wrong type injector, poor reading sensors(this can really kill potential). Basically, the more wet/liquid that enters the chamber that is not suspended with in the air will kill spark fire. .059" doesnt sound like alot, but in order for energy to jump a grand canyon gap, any obstruction will prevent this from happening. Wet plugs dont like to fire.

Best thing to do, buy new plugs and gap to factory. Drive and then re-gap to .040". Repeat process adding more gap till you learn something. If your car is an everyday driver then dont bother with big gaps. Environmental changes, moisture, humidity all play factors in this.

OP
OP
Ineedav8

Ineedav8

Reaction score
Alright thank you I was told the car has ported pi heads but havent looked down it yet. I soaked a plug and thought that my huge gap would have something to do with it ill close it up a bit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online