Point_Oh’s 1994 GT Convertible - Phase One: Restoration

OP
OP
Point_Oh

Point_Oh

Reaction score
So my body guy asked me to stop by this morning and I got super excited, thinking maybe he got it done ahead of schedule.

Nope.

While he was test fitting the hood, his assistant dropped his side on the windshield, sending 2 major cracks out from the impact area. Luckily, he's a stand up guy. Not only is he going to replace it, he's going to knock a few hundred off the bill because it was the original windshield. I told him he didn't have knock any cash off because to original one has 22 years of pits on it, but he's insisting.

Anyway, here's some pics as it and the hood wait to go into the booth for primer. The front/rear bumper and all the trim pieces are already primed and were baking when I was there. No pics of the windshield because he felt really bad and I didn't want to rub it in.

MyMustang.PrePrimer.00.jpg
MyMustang.PrePrimer.01.jpg
MyMustang.PrePrimer.02.jpg
MyMustang.PrePrimer.03.jpg

OP
OP
Point_Oh

Point_Oh

Reaction score
Small update:

I dropped off funds for paint and clear last Friday and she was getting the last bit of primer applied (no pics). He thought that I should be able to pick up the trim pieces as early as this weekend. I’ll be sure to put up pics as I bring the parts home.

OP
OP
Point_Oh

Point_Oh

Reaction score
Got the trim pieces back tonight.
MyMustang.Painted.FrontBumber.jpg
MyMustang.Painted.RearBumper.jpg
MyMustang.Painted.Skirts.jpg
MyMustang.Painted.Scoops.DoorHandles.GasDoor.jpg
MyMustang.Painted.TailLights.jpg

The car should be done in 2 weeks.

OP
OP
Point_Oh

Point_Oh

Reaction score
Ha! I was rocking four different levels of fade on mine before this project; none of which were anywhere close to the fresh stuff.

DFG_magic

Reaction score
Awesome project, tons of useful info for convertible owners, A++!! I'm tuned in bro! Can't wait to see it out of paint!

OP
OP
Point_Oh

Point_Oh

Reaction score
Awesome project, tons of useful info for convertible owners, A++!! I'm tuned in bro! Can't wait to see it out of paint!

Thanks. I was surprised by the lack of write-ups pertaining to convertible tear-down. I’m glad to hear you thought it was useful. I hope to have some more to add today…depending on delivery schedules.

OP
OP
Point_Oh

Point_Oh

Reaction score
LMR came through once again! I got the final bit of hardware needed to put everything back together...and now back to waiting.

MyMustang.TrimHardware.jpg

1. Inner Fender Splash Shield Hardware Kit (LRS-16102HDWK)
2. License Light Lenses w/LED bulbs (LRS-13550SLED)
3. Rear Bumper Cover Push Pins (PE-985)
4. Rocker Molding Push Pin Kit (LRS-10176CHDW)

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I believe laser red, deep forest green metallic, and few other unique color's from Ford look amazing repainted. I could be recirculating not accurate information but does laser red take a special tinted clear to give its special pop? Maybe I am wrong.

Nathan

OP
OP
Point_Oh

Point_Oh

Reaction score
I believe laser red, deep forest green metallic, and few other unique color's from Ford look amazing repainted. I could be recirculating not accurate information but does laser red take a special tinted clear to give its special pop? Maybe I am wrong.

Nathan

Both the base and the clear are tinted.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score

Both the base and the clear are tinted.

Nice! Does deep forest green have it too? I remember when I was a novice in detailing I dry buffed a spot and lightened up apart of my paint on my car, I wasn't happy [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Point_Oh

Point_Oh

Reaction score
I got some pics today.

MyMustang.Painted.00.jpg
MyMustang.Painted.01.jpg
MyMustang.Painted.02.jpg
MyMustang.Painted.03.jpg

It's still going to be a month before she's back on the road. My painter wants to touch up a few things and buff it our before he gives it back.

OP
OP
Point_Oh

Point_Oh

Reaction score
Look who's home!

MyMustang.PostPaint.jpg

Needless to say, I've cancelled all of my commitments for the rest of the week so I can put her back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell