Police Interceptor 4.6

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I was sitting here talking with a friend, who has a 98 GT with an 04 PI(police interceptor)
Motor and ECM.
Claims that the swap alone with his tires netted him high 12s. He has no bolt ons on this new motor, just a crown vic and the ECM.

Is there any validity to this statement?
Last I checked the CV was rated lower than any 4.6 in a mustang. Not to mention inherent weight, plus the extra crap cops carry, and the bigger fuel tank.

Hell the 0-60 is worse than my v6.
Granted I think they can go 150 or so.

But he did get me to thinking.
Is it an ECM change?
Or is he talking out his ass?

amy98gt

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Interceptor (issued by the county) not sure on final top speed but have been a little over 130 twice. The Patrol car does not have as much traction as did when my 98GT was stock. Especially in the rain. I have to peddle the car bad in the rain. I should do a 0-60 and see what turns out. I'll make that a project this week and see what average I turn out.

Wichers123

Reaction score
I was sitting here talking with a friend, who has a 98 GT with an 04 PI(police interceptor)
Motor and ECM.
Claims that the swap alone with his tires netted him high 12s. He has no bolt ons on this new motor, just a crown vic and the ECM.

Is there any validity to this statement?
Last I checked the CV was rated lower than any 4.6 in a mustang. Not to mention inherent weight, plus the extra crap cops carry, and the bigger fuel tank.

Hell the 0-60 is worse than my v6.
Granted I think they can go 150 or so.

But he did get me to thinking.
Is it an ECM change?
Or is he talking out his ass?
Pi does nots stand for police interceptor, it's performance improved. All pi motors are the same for power. A pi motor with bolt ons/w tune and good tires and suspension should tap 12's but barely

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
All 2v n/a modular cars of the same year are the exact same engines. Such as a 2v 4.6l in a '97 truck is the exact same engine in the crwon vic, mustang, thunderbird of the same year. Same scenario for all years. Their can be differences of the intakes, electronics, manifolds but still the exact same internally. No difference in cams or compresion.
4v's are a different story.

Walking Tall

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Interceptor (issued by the county) not sure on final top speed but have been a little over 130 twice. The Patrol car does not have as much traction as did when my 98GT was stock. Especially in the rain. I have to peddle the car bad in the rain. I should do a 0-60 and see what turns out. I'll make that a project this week and see what average I turn out.

133 was as high as I ever got mine. I blame the lightbar. I swear some are faster than others. I got passed when I was flat out one night by a newer CV.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They're nice cars. I have an 04 P71 and I love it. It makes nice "traveling" car to take on trips because there's plenty of room. They're kinda slow on the take off simply because of their size, but for being a land yacht, they can move.

BlackStallion

Reaction score
Sounds like your buddy may know more about the size of a hole in the ground than his own ass. lol

PI - Performance Improved Mustang (better (than 96-98ish) heads, intake, etc)
P71 - Police Intercepter package Crown Vic (Charging system, oil cooler, p/s cooler, suspension, spotlight, different tuning in ECM, smaller diameter torque converter, sweet steel wheels, etc) I want one.. can you tell?

Swapping the ECM from a P71 vic to a mustang wouldnt work. If it did, I'd swap the ECM from one to my '93 Mark VIII. Or from my '94 GT to my '04 Ranger. Because racecar or racetruck. lol

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
Oh and I know PI stands for Performance Improved, I was just short handing Police Interceptor.
Making sure before I called foul.
I googled the specs and most are terrible. 255lbs of torque?
Most general thought is they are electronically limited to 130-135.

The only real difference is the heavy duty cooling and trans cooler right? for more robust life?

But I wanted to ask, because I figured maybe, I'd never looked into it until last night.
But he's claiming just the engine and ECM with mickeys and an auto net him 12.8-12.9
I found that odd considering Clint Texas is around 3500 or so in elevation, a desert, so the cars are all starving for air, and that under torqued motor is making my old 3v look like crap.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
As for speed, I know my 97 before I swapped could hit around 143ish on the autobahn, but it took a long time, and that was a looong flat stretch.

A reason I never changed my gears, loss of top end.

My 3v with just a cai, tune, OR pipe, mufflers and 4.10s would still wind out the 140.
But I figured if the 2v had issues even hitting it's top marked speed, gears would make those digits useless and some altima would pass me in the long run.
I wonder if PI swapped with bolt ons and maybe 3.73s would still at least allow 150.

It's expensive but I already have my passport and a few contacts, and am trying to arrange a trip back next summer to run the Nurnburgring again.
80 Euro last time I was there for unlimited passes. Granted the lines are long, but I had a lot of fun in my blown 09 v6.

1997gtRioRed

Reaction score
All 2v n/a modular cars of the same year are the exact same engines. Such as a 2v 4.6l in a '97 truck is the exact same engine in the crwon vic, mustang, thunderbird of the same year. Same scenario for all years. Their can be differences of the intakes, electronics, manifolds but still the exact same internally. No difference in cams or compresion.

Umm....not quite. mustangs got the PI motor a couple years earlier than the crown vic.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
After digging there is no way, they are rated lower anyway.
Even with a PI intake, he should only be around 260 Crank. Assuming all things are equal.
The tune itself can't be super special.

I'm waiting on that timeslip.

OP
OP
Leo 5.0

Leo 5.0

Reaction score
I figured I'd ask and google before I got into it with him and threatened to go back to El Paso and take in on the 1/4 with my 4.0... I got it to do a solid 14.2 back to back. Good enough for a v6 with minor bolt ons.
And if everything is as he says, he may be close if not a bit faster or slower.
I forgot what PIs did stock without slicks just some nice nittos.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah