Popping when easying into first gear.

Sklander

Reaction score
When I ease into first gear from a stop the rear of the car pops and clunks sometimes. It sounds like bearings. Anyone have any ideas? I guess the bearings haven't ever been changed so they could definitely use it...

Tattoogod

Reaction score
Do you have stock gears? you take corners hard..these cars have about half an inch wider than the older stangs do ..and are alot easier to do damage to the mechanics of the rear end..it could be alot of things back there..please add alittle more details....thanks

OP
OP
S

Sklander

Reaction score
No, the gears in the rear are not stock. My dad had them changed about three months after he bought the car new in 1995.

The car hardly gets driven and has recently been awaked as a kind of projet for me and my dad. The popping has been there as long as I can remember... I'll just keep rolling on it till it blows up.

8)

ryclef331

Reaction score
Tattoogod said:
Do you have stock gears? you take corners hard..these cars have about half an inch wider than the older stangs do ..and are alot easier to do damage to the mechanics of the rear end

Huh???

Does the clutch release really low to the floor? Sounds to me a little bit like the clutch is draggin just a hair and when you put it into gear, its slightly turning the input shaft on the tranny which obviously will turn the driveshaft and if the backlash on the ring and pinion is loose, you'll get a "clunk." try picking up a firewall adjuster for the clutch cable OR before you spend the dough, take the inspection cover off the bellhousing and look at were the cable hooks up. You might be able to rig up something to take the slack out of the cable (tightend the cable to make it release higher from the floor) to TEST...JUST TO TEST OUT if it helps. I wouldn't drive around on it rigged up but it doesn't sound like you're hurting anything

Tattoogod

Reaction score
if its popping from the rear..kinda sounds like a shim is loose or broke. the retaining clips could be bad..theres alot that can be wrong with a pop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online