Ported NPI Heads???

firstonraceday

Reaction score
anyone know how they compare with Pi heads flow wise? I also wanted to know if anyone knows where I can find some info on porting them myself. I know it is hard work to port heads, I am just looking for some detailed info on how to do this and is it worth all the time to do it?

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
if you could do a decent port job by yourself, don'r you think everyone would be doing it themselves instead of payin $800+ for someone else to do them. not trying to be an asshole, just sayin.

G

GREG@SN95

My pops used to port n polish heads by himself...

But that was way back when and he used to build race cars... lol... so I would suggest that if ya don't know what yer doing... don't try it...

OP
OP
F

firstonraceday

Reaction score
DFG_Pimpin said:
if you could do a decent port job by yourself, don'r you think everyone would be doing it themselves instead of payin $800+ for someone else to do them. not trying to be an asshole, just sayin.
Thats why I was asking the question... because I want to learn. I have talked to guys at machine shops and they say its pretty straight forward. They actually suggested that I try it myself before shelling out so much money.

Daywalker

Reaction score
I went with Steen Racing ported non-pi's, and I love em. He'll also port match them to fit PI intakes if you ask him. Great customer service too, give him a call...

OP
OP
F

firstonraceday

Reaction score
you think it would be cheaper to just buy some pi heads off ebay and get them ported? :hammer:

S

scarface

firstonraceday said:
you think it would be cheaper to just buy some pi heads off ebay and get them ported? :hammer:
its not so much the cost of the heads, but the excellent work Steen does to the heads :)

Daywalker

Reaction score
I was impatient, so I just bought a set that Jason had there. It would be much cheaper to send a set of Non-PIs to him and have him do the work. I still have the NPIs I took out of mine, I'll sell em to ya for cheap if you're interested. The shipping will probably be more than what I'd ask for the heads actually. :hammer: I could also send em straight to Jason, and you could pay for him to do the work and ship them back to you. Either way, just let me know if you're interested in the heads. Thanks... O0

OP
OP
F

firstonraceday

Reaction score
Daywalker said:
I was impatient, so I just bought a set that Jason had there. It would be much cheaper to send a set of Non-PIs to him and have him do the work. I still have the NPIs I took out of mine, I'll sell em to ya for cheap if you're interested. The shipping will probably be more than what I'd ask for the heads actually. :hammer: I could also send em straight to Jason, and you could pay for him to do the work and ship them back to you. Either way, just let me know if you're interested in the heads. Thanks... O0
you sure you don't want to pay Jason too? ;D I don't think ill need an extra set of heads thanks for offering though. If you have any pi cams/intakes layin around let me know.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
ported PI and ported NPI's flow roughly the same depending on who is doing the work. If keeping the compression down is what you need then send out your NPI's to get done. If you are staying NA then find some cheap PI's.

Add some better valves to NPI heads and port the exhaust and they are basically = to PI heads...maybe better :)

OP
OP
F

firstonraceday

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
ported PI and ported NPI's flow roughly the same depending on who is doing the work. If keeping the compression down is what you need then send out your NPI's to get done. If you are staying NA then find some cheap PI's.

Add some better valves to NPI heads and port the exhaust and they are basically = to PI heads...maybe better :)
just the info I needed O0 thanks

9psi 98

Reaction score
Daywalker said:
I went with Steen Racing ported non-pi's, and I love em. He'll also port match them to fit PI intakes if you ask him. Great customer service too, give him a call...

I have the same setup, but I have PI cams in my NPI heads. Steen Racing in Virginia did all of the work and by the flow chart the previous owner gave me with the car, they only flow 5cfm less than PI heads. I'd go with the PI heads if you can find them cheap enough (and you probably can). I'm still dumbfounded about how they got the PI cams to fit in there without any clearance issues, I hear they use spacers or something. But the high lift cams are only supposed to be for the PI heads, not my NPI's.....no idea. I want to put Crower stage 2 blower cams in my car and I know that the low lift cam will work cause it was ground for the NPI heads, but I'd rather have the high lift PI cams for obvious reasons.... If I already have PI cams in my NPI's so this shouldn't be a problem right??? :dunno:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
9psi 98 said:
Daywalker said:

I have the same setup, but I have PI cams in my NPI heads. Steen Racing in Virginia did all of the work and by the flow chart the previous owner gave me with the car, they only flow 5cfm less than PI heads. I'd go with the PI heads if you can find them cheap enough (and you probably can). I'm still dumbfounded about how they got the PI cams to fit in there without any clearance issues, I hear they use spacers or something. But the high lift cams are only supposed to be for the PI heads, not my NPI's.....no idea. I want to put Crower stage 2 blower cams in my car and I know that the low lift cam will work cause it was ground for the NPI heads, but I'd rather have the high lift PI cams for obvious reasons.... If I already have PI cams in my NPI's so this shouldn't be a problem right??? :dunno:

The PI cams are an easy direct swap in NPI heads with no other mods or shimming/spacers etc needed. If you want to run Crower PI Supercharger cams in your NPI heads you can get the Crower offset retainers or have the spring perches machined. It can be done but as always will cost money. (Call Crower for first hand info)
If you do take everything apart i'd suggest sending your heads back to Steen for a more aggressive port. He has a few different stages that he does and if your heads only flowed about the same as a PI head then he probably just did a valve job on them and worked the exhaust and light intake port...NPI heads flow about the same as stock PI's on the intake side...its the exhaust side the PI's shine at so he probably just did that. Now NPI's with a st 2 port will be right about even with a PI and st2 port so i'd definately have them worked some more.

Daywalker

Reaction score
That would be correct sir. I have Comp PI cams in my NPI heads as well. With the valve job Jason does, you can run a cam with up to .600 lift. I wanted to keep my NPIs because of my Procharger, and it worked out well! The comp XE270AH cams work really well with my set-up as well. If I had to do it all over again, I would have had my heads port matched so I can run a Bullit intake. That combo with with blower and everything would have made SICK power... :pimp2:

OP
OP
F

firstonraceday

Reaction score
I talked to Jason this morning.. he seems like a pretty cool guy he said that with the right work done NPI heads are better than PI heads for some applications. So I will probably get some NPI heads from him. Now all I need is some cams and an intake. :dancing6: :dancing6:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt