Porting and Polishing Help

97gtconv.

Reaction score
I've been porting my P.I. heads on the exhaust side and in the chamber for sometime now to where it looks good (hopefully flows well). I've been using a dremel tool with barrell rollers with rough, mild, and fine and does a good job.
I haven't touched the intake ports at all. i cant get all the way down to the bottom but i've been told to leave them alittle rough to still keep some turbolence. what do you guys suggest? go down as far as i can and work up?

Thomas_W

Reaction score
when i did my heads, i removed all of the casting roughness from the ports and smoothed the transition on the walls. i also removed the "hump" on the roof of the port. then i smoothed the transition where the indentation is on the port inlet.

i also "angled" back and shortened the swirl dams, and smoothed the combustion chambers where the valve seats transition to the alum. head getting rid of the little ridege around the seats. but i did most of this b/c im FI. naturally aspirated i wouldn't of done it.

OP
OP

97gtconv.

Reaction score
i'm doing this as a learning experience. i already had a dremel tool, so i just bought about 20 bucks worth of barrell sanders of different grit to see if i can make an improvement. I was more concerned about the exhaust port and the chamber to get some better flow cause honestly these P.I. are really restricted. hopefully more work will do some justice and hopefully it will like some nitrous.

OP
OP

97gtconv.

Reaction score
"i also removed the "hump" on the roof of the port. then i smoothed the transition where the indentation is on the port inlet."

are you talking about the intake port where the bulge is about two inches down? also or if not did you remove the horn (the the bulge on the one side of the intake valve? i see most ported heads take them off to increase flow...thanks

Thomas_W

Reaction score
yup.. thats the bulge im refering too. I did alot of research and asking about the horn (name = Swirl dam). And found out it is best to either leave it alone (it promotes air swirling to help atomize the fuel more efficiently) or lay it back so its not so much of a blockage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online