porting lower intake

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So who has done it themselves and who has used T-moss? It is something that is on my list of things I would like to do to open things up but not sure if I want to try it myself or send it off. I am pretty sure I could figure it out but for the sake of time t-moss's prices don't seem too unreasonable.

I have always hated the way the stock temp gauge stopped working when I installed the aftermarket gauges. I would like to drill/tap a hole near the stock hole to allow for both senders to mount. Anyone else done this just to help show where was a good spot?

T-moss also offers a ceramic coating after bead blasting. Now after contacting him its just duplicolor high temp ceramic paint which I know I can do myself(but would not) but I am going to send my headers out for a ceramic coating. I have been wondering how much/if it would do anything to coat the lower intake to help with intake temps with the supercharger? I can't help but think it would help keep temps down which on a supercharged car is never a bad thing but I am a motor newb by most standards.

Magic

Reaction score
Probably best bet to send it off to someone like T moss.
The place that is ceramic coating the headers, should be able to offer a coating for the intake as well. It wont be a significant temp reduction on the intake to justify the $$ spent on getting the intake ceramic coated. Every little thing helps.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea see when I find a how-to with pics and instructions like that it makes me want to do it myself but I have enough things on my list to do already to get it running hopefully this year.

Any more opinions on the coated lower are appreciated but I have to ask if anyone knows anyone that did it or are we all just making educated guesses on what it would or would not do? I have to think that if T-moss is offering a clear ceramic paint that it might have more to do with then just looks? I am just trying to build a very complete car over time and trying to take advantage of the fact its apart and can be sent off now to prepare for later.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I've ported my intake and heads myself. Not to the level of t-moss. I really just gasket matched and cleaned up the casting flash.

Z06killinsbf

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a T-moss ported Cobra intake and you can see were they welded to the intake in spots to make the ports bigger. Also, I guess he changed his coatings because this intake was done in the polished ceramic coating and it looks amazing.

Are you porting a stock lower?

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
a stock cobra lower yes and its going on top of a motor that will hopefully need all the airflow it can move eventually.

As for the ceramic coating I can't think of any reason it would really hurt anything and it seems like it could only help. I am already shipping out headers to be done so why not one more piece. I am just wanting them black though doesn't need to be polished.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
boxed the lower up after power washing it and sent it off for some tmoss lovin. Hopefully I will have it back in a couple of weeks and then I will send it off with my headers for coating. Sooner or later I will replace the bottom block with a built lower and turn up the juice and I want everything to be ready for that day :nono:

LaserRed95GT

Reaction score
I'm sure it's on his website but how much for the lower porting? know any facts about porting the upper? (asking specifically about a gt40 set up).

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
$175 for the lower plus shipping to/from. From what I have seen you can gasket match the upper but there isn't much to gain from porting the upper unless you are cutting it open and doing some major work.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
tmoss is a fast mofo

IMG_20150210_153324925.jpg

IMG_20150210_153324925.jpg

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I meant to get a pic before I sent it out but forgot. The old gasket was stock on it pretty good though and you could see where it needed to be worked on and it is certainly opened up on the bottom more.
Didn't realize I had the same pic 2 times for some reason here is the bottom.

IMG_20150210_153233453.jpg

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
http://nitroplate.com/

Some people were curious about who I was going to coat it with and after some time/thought I am going with the site above. Super nice people as I submitted a request for a quote and they called me the next morning, answered all my questions and looks like the one I will be going with. They have a price list up there if anyone is curious. Now unfortunately with the cleaning/blasting and coating they are not as fast as tmoss but they should look good as new when they(intake and headers) come back and be good for temps under the hood.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I didn't realize I never updated this to show the end. Got it back and it looks beautiful although I thing its more flat then satin but that might be because of the rough surface of the intake.
IMG_20150312_094137119.jpg

so Then I moved up to the upper intake. I have been polishing this thing off/on for the last 3 years and now after seeing the lower done I am again anxious to get the upper finished. I got all the main points and polished the large areas to see what they looked like and there was just the small crap left to do in the hard to reach areas. But this weekend I flipped it over and started porting polishing the upper. I had read before that there was not much to gain from the upper but I am not so sure now after doing it. First off I had planned to run a 75mm tb, but the cobras inlet was only 70 mm so a simple gasket match took care of that.

IMG_20150307_235211757.jpg

as you can tell its hella dirty for sure. I actually let it set out in a large sink of scalding hot water after filling the intake with some dish soap. It got most of it out but the good part is that now it smells like clean dishes instead of old burned oil. I still need to take one final run on it to smooth/polish the back/inside better. I put the throttle body on it and with the butterfly open as long as its centered perfectly there is just the slightest increase at the intake that will only take a minute or two. I think I am going to hide some aluminum pins on the mounting flanges of them both to ensure it is mounted perfectly.

The bottom of the upper didn't have a whole lot to gain but there was some work to do to open it up. besides the top there were some casting errors inside the runners that stuck up like large buggers that need to come out along with just smoothing the casting flash.
IMG_20150307_234854405.jpg

So again after getting out the rasps, sanding drums and disks it was looking nice an perty on the inside and smoother then ever before for sure.
IMG_20150313_011403145.jpg

I also just realized a way I can ensure that these two pieces are perfectly matched and not out of alignement. I use a 1/2" phenilic spacer and have for years. again using aluminum pins(from rivits) I can line up the phenolic to the lower and insert some pins so that it will not move, then take the spacer off and put it on the upper and do the same thing but with the other side of the spacer and a few pins. The would not need to stick out more then an 1/8" and 3 should be enough. Gonna give it a try and it might just be worth the price of a borescope to prove they are lined up. The polishing on the top is almost over, I have about 6-8 spots left to clean up and then its done and ready for nitroplate. After 3 years of working on this and now coating it and the lower I REALLY can't wait too see the ending.

Damn after all this I am dying to go finish that up but unfortunately got sick this morning and started puking again and typing now while hooked up to an hooked up to an iv.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online