Porting Stock Intake?

drifts14x

Reaction score
So before anybody starts in, I know that I can just go buy an aftermarket intake, but... I really want to have a car that nobody will be able to estimate, even with the hood open, so I was wondering if anybody has ever had their stock GT manifold ported and opened up a bit, and if so, was it significant enough to feel, or am I stuck with getting a Cobra GT-40 or Trickflow? I really want to know because it will decide whether or not I get my E7's ported or go for a Cobra Conversion.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
Its not really worth it, if you wanna go for a sleeper look, get a cobra intake and paint it black, e7 heads are trash, ported or not. Afr makes good heads, as does trickflow and they are the ones I recommend. Stock intake and heads are just junk really. Go aftermarket, thats the only way to get a good bit of power out of your motor.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
I've seen a motor that looked completely stock run 10s waaay back in the day. It was pretty funny to see the look on people's faces when he would open the hood. His nitrous kit was so secret squirrel it took forver to figure out where the power was coming from. :)

Yes, you can port it and make a little more power through it. However, it would likely require a significant dollar investment (read: extrude honing) as well as a lot of time and effort to correct the shape of the runners.

In other words, it's a lot of time, money, and effort with minimal payoff.

Buy an aftermarket.

OP
OP
D

drifts14x

Reaction score
Alright, that's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks guys, I guess I'll keep looking for some Cobra parts.

Hybrid Freak

Reaction score
95Grandtouring5.0 said:
Its not really worth it, if you wanna go for a sleeper look, get a cobra intake and paint it black, e7 heads are trash, ported or not. Afr makes good heads, as does trickflow and they are the ones I recommend. Stock intake and heads are just junk really. Go aftermarket, thats the only way to get a good bit of power out of your motor.

Not all that true my friend. A buddy of mine has a ported stock intake, ported e7's, 65mm TB, 19lb injectors, 4.10 gears, e303 cam, stock suspension oslickscar runs consistang 13.0's@103 in a 90' notch full weight. So the stock stuff has a bit of potential. But me myself would recommend aftermarket as well.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Hybrid Freak said:
95Grandtouring5.0 said:

Not all that true my friend. A buddy of mine has a ported stock intake, ported e7's, 65mm TB, 19lb injectors, 4.10 gears, e303 cam, stock suspension oslickscar runs consistang 13.0's@103 in a 90' notch full weight. So the stock stuff has a bit of potential. But me myself would recommend aftermarket as well.
full weight 90 notch all of 2900 lbs if that.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
A full weight notch is significantly heavier than 2900 lbs.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
My friends hatch is 3240 with him in it and he weighs 180. for him to run 13.0 @2900lbs he needs 260rwhp. And at 103 thats either light weight or more motor

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
That's not 2900 pounds, is it?

Moreover, does the car have A/C, all original suspension and brakes, original wheels, etc etc etc?

*edit*

Just checked, there's a guy here on a local boad that runs 12.97 @ 104 with a stock coupe with all stock suspension. The car is factory save for full exhaust (longtubes), an air bag, and slicks on factory Ford wheels. It is a factory non-AC car from Canada, and weighs 3240 lbs with him in it and 1/3 tank of fuel. I'd put him at 160 lbs. Given that his is a factory non-AC car, that means that there is NO WAY that a coupe weighs 2900 lbs.

Paul.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
bull shit no way its stock and the 90 a cage weighs alot. and 104 mph who are you kidding m not an idot

I really couldn't care less if you believe me or not. He did it, and that's what the car weighs. Most of the time he runs 13.00-13.04.

Tell you what, I happened to own a stock full weight 89 coupe. Next time I go to the track I'll weigh it just so you know for sure there is no way it weighs 2900 lbs.

Paul.

*edit* - it also has a ported MAF, gears, and unhooked (not removed) front swaybar. Motor is factory from TB to pan, and the car makes 234 rwhp.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Paul said:
quickstang_1994 said:
bull shit no way its stock and the 90 a cage weighs alot. and 104 mph who are you kidding m not an idot

I really couldn't care less if you believe me or not. He did it, and that's what the car weighs. Most of the time he runs 13.00-13.04.

Tell you what, I happened to own a stock full weight 89 coupe. Next time I go to the track I'll weigh it just so you know for sure there is no way it weighs 2900 lbs.

Paul.
I want, go and get the car weighed thats fine but just to let you know all car weigh different amount(just incase you didn't know). But if you have ever been to a weigh in you know at the track most cars are full cars and watch there weight.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
I want, go and get the car weighed thats fine but just to let you know all car weigh different amount(just incase you didn't know). But if you have ever been to a weigh in you know at the track most cars are full cars and watch there weight.

Why would there be a significant difference in weight between one stock notch and another, given they have the same accessories? Just curious where you came up with that? The only variables of any significance would be the weight of the driver, and the amount of fuel in the tank. If you have two identical cars with identical parts, they will weigh the same within a very small amount.

My car would even be lighter than a stock coupe because it has aluminum heads, but even still it won't weigh anywhere near 2900 pounds.

Paul.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
In 1990 a 2 door notchback V-8 was 2715lbs price was $12,107 and there were 30,767 made per ford motor company. I have specs for every Mustang from 1962(prototype),1964-2000.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
No they weren't. Maybe if it was a no-AC 4 cylinder, but not a V8.

I'm still wondering how two identical cars with the same accessories can weigh different amounts.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
because people change things wheels .... the list goes on due you really think a v8 weighs that much more than a 4 banger. In 1989 factory wheels were 14's on an lx so how did he get slicks on a 14 in rim.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
because people change things wheels....

I'm pretty sure wheels don't account for 500 lbs.

the list goes on due you really think a v8 weighs that much more than a 4 banger.

Yes. Is this a real question?

In 1989 factory wheels were 14's on an lx so how did he get slicks on a 14 in rim.

His is a 90, and he drag races it on ten holes.

Do you seriously think that a stock 5.0 notch weighs 2900 lbs? Seriously?

You are completely, totally, wrong. Period.

Meh, like I said, if I take my POS notch to the track and the scales are open, I'll weigh it and let you know. Then again, you didn't believe that a guy could go 12.9x with a full weight stock motored notch either. Apparently Bob Cosby must have made that part up.

Paul.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
I guess our def of stock are different in your eyes mine must be stock. yes you think a 4 cyl weighs 500 less pounds than a 302, what world do you live in because a 302 only weighs around 450. Do you know what factory stock is aparently not those motor are built. Check your rule book again, http://www.nmraracing.com/rules/fs.html those motors they car cost more than your cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online