Pos Trac Or Limited Slip?

Foster98GT

Reaction score
What do our cars Have? Im thinking we have limited slip, meaning one wheel pulls. Is there a way to make both of them pull evenly or would this be a bad thing?

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
I'm almost positive we have limited slips, hence the 3L27 stamped on my differential. :dunno:

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score
WyoTechMSA, Made a post call "some bridge i own" where he does a massive burnout and it looks like both his wheels are spinning as he slides away. The passenger rear wheel spins more on my car.

Red96GT

Legend
Reaction score
Foster98GT said:
WyoTechMSA, Made a post call "some bridge i own" where he does a massive burnout and it looks like both his wheels are spinning as he slides away. The passenger rear wheel spins more on my car.

that's cause you're fat and weigh the left side of the car down. :hammer: ;)

97blackgt

Reaction score
We have limited slip..."Posi" is what GM calls thier version of limited slip

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have no slip I guess,..........hell I dont know my Dr's always hook up ;D

G

GREG@SN95

v6s were one wheel peelers

GTs should all have positraction rears

whty98

Reaction score
I think that all the diff's are limited slip/posi (7.5 and 8.8) , but over time the clutches in the diff get wornen out and only one wheel spins. That's why you use the Friction Modifier when you change your rear-end fluid or use Royal Purple.

I ya want to get rid of that, get a new diff (a locker or a new limited slip). When I do my rear 31 spline strange, 4.10's and the FRPP diff used in the terminators

G_94_T

Reaction score
a buddy of mine put my gear in for me a couple of years ago,he said you can use different thickness shims when installing the differential,using the thickest ones will put more pre-load on the clutch packs effectively "locking" the axles all the time...thats what he did to mine and ive never had the one-wheel-peel problem....

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
we have "TRACTION-LOC" fords version of limited slip, havent you notice your car seems to kick our harder when your taking a corner to the right and try to get sideways?

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
we have "TRACTION-LOC" fords version of limited slip, havent you notice your car seems to kick our harder when your taking a corner to the right and try to get sideways?

What do we have to do to get both wheels to pull?

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Foster98GT said:
Matt94GT said:

What do we have to do to get both wheels to pull?

When the traction Lock is working properly, both wheels will constantly pull in a straight line, but when going around a turn the inside tire will slip so the car does not skip around the turn. The traction Lock rear has clutch pacs in the carrier that allows this to happen. When the clutches wear out, It will act like an open rear where only one drive tire puts power to the pavement.

On the old 9 inch rears you had to be careful when changing clutch pacs in the traction Lock rears. People would add "extra" clutches to constantly lock the rear, and cause the carrier housing to crack after hard use. I had this happen to me.

A Detroit Locker is a constant locking rear. It uses gears instead of clutches. When you make a turn the inside tire will skip from losing traction. They are virtually indestructible.

G

GREG@SN95

whty98 said:
I think that all the diff's are limited slip/posi (7.5 and 8.8) , but over time the clutches in the diff get wornen out and only one wheel spins. That's why you use the Friction Modifier when you change your rear-end fluid or use Royal Purple.

I ya want to get rid of that, get a new diff (a locker or a new limited slip). When I do my rear 31 spline strange, 4.10's and the FRPP diff used in the terminators

why are you gonna put IRS in?

OP
OP
F

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Guys since my gear install she kicks on both sides now.....

whty98

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
whty98 said:

why are you gonna put IRS in?

It's not IRS, it's just the differential

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online