Possessed a/c clutch

i94ponycar

Reaction score
Hello all,

A 1994 GT in question here ...

My a/c worked soso last summer and it cut out recently. I tried refilling it and the clutch kicked on and off a few times but in the end the pressure leaked down to nothing. A simple leak?

I know the freon contains oil and I probably shouldn't continue trying to run it if it has no freon. Just hoping I don't have to replace the compressor.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Rallim

Reaction score
Did you check the pressure or are you going off the clutch going on and off? It might be a faulty pressure switch if the clutch is going on and off.

If it's not, and its losing pressure, how fast is it going? If its losing the full charge in less then two weeks, there's a good enough bet that no sealant will work on the system and whatever part is leaking will have to be replaced. If not, try some sealant in the system.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The clutch kicking on and off is because the pressure isn't hi enough. As you're charging the system, the clutch should be staying engaged longer and longer and disengaged should be getting shorter and shorter till the clutch doesn't disengage anymore.

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
What he said lol

...no really, thats why I was thinking maybe the freon reading might b false, idk

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
No, I haven't used it before

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can get the dye kit at the parts house too right next to where you got yhe freon. you'll need special glasses or a uv light to see the dye

RichV

Reaction score
Be careful, AC stuff is kinda dangerous.

To do it right you should pressurize it with nitrogen, find and fix leaks.
Then it needs to be pulled into a vacuum with a vac pump.
Then you can add refrigerant/oil.

The stuff you buy at the stores does good when you have to top off an older car, but if you have nothing in there but atmospheric, you're just wasting your money.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online