possible 5.0 project questions

97six

Reaction score
i was just brainstorming about getting a used cobra engine from MPSAutosalvage and slowly build it up, instead of trying to build a v6 up. what would be the best way to build a high performance N/A 5.0 for road coarse events? where can i get the parts needed? should i keep the automatic or get a 5 or 6 speed? should i get an IRS? etc.

GaryG

Reaction score
i can only answer a few questions, if ur seriously interested in road course events, i would go manual, also just about every mustang magazine has parts that r needed

Hicks

Reaction score
For a road course yea, manual.
Engine wise, shouldnt be to hard to build a engine yourself.
You might be able to get away with building one for under 3-4k Depending on what you want done.

Let us know, but DO NOT build up the v6, get a v8 man, we all know you want one.

OP
OP

97six

Reaction score
well it easier for you to say build the 5.0 but my old man said a negative to the 5.0, he doesnt think that i am serious to build one. plus, if i do get the 5.0 im not goin to have the motor in right away anyways. he thinks since i only had my license for a couple of months that i dont have that much driving experience, which i understand why, but like i said i wont by stuffin it in the engine bay right away. on that note im goin to talk to him again and tell him my idea with that.

Hicks

Reaction score
97six said:
well it easier for you to say build the 5.0 but my old man said a negative to the 5.0, he doesnt think that i am serious to build one. plus, if i do get the 5.0 im not goin to have the motor in right away anyways. he thinks since i only had my license for a couple of months that i dont have that much driving experience, which i understand why, but like i said i wont by stuffin it in the engine bay right away. on that note im goin to talk to him again and tell him my idea with that.

Well yea, im 17 myself. But my dad taught me how to race. So i gues... it's all in the family with that one.
If i was you, i'd let him know how easy it is to build a 302 *5.0*
Even a STOCK 302 wouldn't give you but 200+ hp and would be a great start
and on that note, a stock 302 is REALY Cheap, your looking at 1-2k for that one. If you got friends with spare engines, alot cheaper.
Go find a junkyard and find a old one, and then get the block Cleaned and bored 30 over
and then go to work

I think others would agree, im not the smarted guy on the block.
but thats my 02

ripper

Reaction score
You could always buy a beat engine from the junkyard and tear it down. Start building it up a little at a time. Take your time no rush and do a top notch job. By the time you finish it you will have some driving time clocked in and maybe your dad will think different. You will learn alot and maybe your dad will help ya. Only problem is it would be tons cheaper to just buy a cobra lol. You will need a new puter, trani, rear, etc. But all in all you would end up with one kick ass motor to stick in somthin.

Hicks

Reaction score
Stevo said:
You could always buy a beat engine from the junkyard and tear it down. Start building it up a little at a time. Take your time no rush and do a top notch job. By the time you finish it you will have some driving time clocked in and maybe your dad will think different. You will learn alot and maybe your dad will help ya. Only problem is it would be tons cheaper to just buy a cobra lol. You will need a new puter, trani, rear, etc. But all in all you would end up with one kick ass motor to stick in somthin.

+1

What im doing, me and dad been building our engine for alittle over 2 months now
AFR's coming soon :dancing6:

It's a father son thing to... Mention that!!! :thumb:

OP
OP

97six

Reaction score
im going to talk to him about it again tomorrow after school and soccer practice. like yall said its cheaper to build a 5.0 than a v6, v6 engine parts are WAYYY expensive. i could buy a complete 302, computer, wiring, and 347 stroker kit for what it costs a 4.3 stroker kit. ill tell yall what happens, thanks for tips.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online