Possible trans or clutch problem. HELP!!!

BALZY_GT

Reaction score
On my 94 GT, i have been noticing my shifting to be harder. Sometimes the damn thing doesn't want to go into reverse. I will have the clutch pushed in, but the tranny grinds when i go to put it into reverse. Sometimes it works if i go to first gear first and then put it in reverse, but lately that doesnt work all the time. I have also noticed that first gear is getting harder to get into. I bought one of those steeda adj. clutch cable kits with the quadrant, cable, and adjuster. but i have yet to install it. Something is telling me that i have a much larger problem than just my clutch cable. The clutch still grabs well, and it seems to hold like it should, so does that mean that i have tranny issues?? What do you guys think??? :help2:

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
I believe the reverse in the tranny has no synchro, so you will have to put it in another gear then put it in reverse without letting off of the clutch. I do believe my tranny maybe be going also as i have to jam it into 2nd when i downshift but for some reason the upshift isnt bad

ryclef331

Reaction score
Where does the clutch release in reference to the floor? Almost at the top or very close to the floor? Sounds to me like the clutch cable has stretched. I'd throw your new parts in there and adjust the clutch to where it releases closer to the top. Most manufacturers call for a certain amount of air gap. Not everyone can measure that. I adjust mine to the point where there is absolutely ZERO play in the pedal and the cable is slightly taught on the clutch fork. People say it'll wear out a throwout bearing faster but a GOOD throwout bearing is built for constant turning. This sets you up to quicker shifts as well as not grinding.

Tattoogod

Reaction score
i know mine has about .5 to 1 inch of play then it releases at the top.

OP
OP
B

BALZY_GT

Reaction score
so if i replace the cable and adjust it properly, should i expect to have grinding in reverse due to the lack of synchros? Another problem that i noticed was with 5th gear. It doesnt really engage right. It feelS like it just barely stays in gear when you shift from 4th to 5th. I have a steeda tri ax but, im not sure if i should adjust the stops on it.
Also what does it take to drain the tranny. If i just pull the plug will i get most the fluid out, or do i need to get a tranny flush done?

Tattoogod

Reaction score
the the shifter adjustesters may not be adjusted right.that would be the easy thing . but if your unlucky like me.,if its not holding gear.your tranny is about to croke.to drain the tranny is easy just unbolt the drain plus.i think you need a 1/2 or 3/4 inch ratchet. to fill it is the fun part.if its in the car you need a siphon pump kit .its alot easier if you have one of those.

ryclef331

Reaction score
It should. Like I said, it sounds like you have a clutch disengagement problem. As far as draining the tranny fluid...I don't really know off the top of my head. I just put a G-Force T-5 in and I've only filled the tranny. I do know that if you pull the driveshaft, and drop the tranny crossmember, it will drain it...usually all over you. I'm sure someone on here can answer better on that. As for a flush, I don't think so. Drain it and put fresh fluid in it. As far as 5th gear, I'd check the shift stops. I put mine in 3rd, screw the stop in with a business card between it and the handle. I get it so when I'm pushing on the shifter, I can just barely pull the business card out with a slight drag. This came straight from Astroperformance.com when I bought my G-Force. If it stays in gear, I wouldn't sweat it much. As far as reverse not having synchros, that just means that you'll have to be completely stopped to put it in reverse or else it will grind.

ryclef331

Reaction score
Tattoogod said:
the the shifter adjustesters may not be adjusted right.that would be the easy thing . but if your unlucky like me.,if its not holding gear.your tranny is about to croke.to drain the tranny is easy just unbolt the drain plus.i think you need a 1/2 or 3/4 inch ratchet. to fill it is the fun part.if its in the car you need a siphon pump kit .its alot easier if you have one of those.

To fill it, you can also just pop the shifter off and fill it thru the top until it comes out the "filler" plug on the side. It all ends up the same place either way.

Tattoogod

Reaction score
my luck id spill it all over my seat,radio,carpet,and in my eyes somehow lol.i didnt know you could do it like that.thats pretty neat. :thumb:

94gtstang50

Reaction score
Might even be your shifter, my tri-ax grinds second when ever I dont shift like a grandma. Imo the triax is junk. I'm going with something else as soon as I get some cash.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online