Possibly silly : Modular throttle body on 5.0?

JKady

Reaction score
I searched pretty extensively on this and didn't come up with anything other than mod guys wanting to run big 5.0 throttle bodies, which may mean it's a silly idea but I'm all about the cheap stuff so...

Can/has a modular TB on a pushrod engine been done? 5.4's came with up to a 70mm throttle body, which is a pretty common/popular upgrade size for a 5.0. Cheap aftermarket throttle bodies suck (stick, whistle, on/off switch action) and good ones are big money. A stock modular throttle body is OE quality and can be had under $50.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anything can be done :) I don't know if anyone here has though - the vast majority of people will not see a need to do this with the abundance and low cost of 5.0 parts. Why force a square peg in a round hole when you have round pegs everywhere you look? As for the cheap parts vs. the more expensive, better ones: all true. However, if you look around, I'm sure you will find one of the better brands on sale or for sale used in good shape on forums.

If you like a challenge and are looking for a project, see if you can get the mod motor TB on there. If you got enough stuff to do, look for a quality 5.0 TB on sale/used, call it a day, and move on to the next project.

GEORGEKLASS

Reaction score
There are deals everywhere. I picked up a clean used BBK 65mm tbody with the iac and tps left on it for $40. Be a little patient and I'm sure you will find somehing for cheap.

Addermk2

Reaction score
If you know how to properly prep an aftermarket throttle body you can eliminate all of the sticking, whistling, and various other problems that they have.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you know how to properly prep an aftermarket throttle body you can eliminate all of the sticking, whistling, and various other problems that they have.

I wasn't aware there was anything needed to prep a tb short of removing the old one. What would be needed to be done?

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
I was just looking at it as it being reasonably close bolt pattern wise, tossing ideas around. Sensors/IAC are basically the same or near enough that a quick bit of wiring would get it going in that regard.

Mustangs aren't real popular in my area outside of the old guys that drag race so most of the used stuff I find is either stock, or way more extreme than I need.

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Just get a BBK and stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score

If you can build the wheel cheaper why not do it? I will always build before I can buy when feasible.

I did some more digging and it isn't feasible in this case though, 4.6 mounting pattern isn't square like the 5.0.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

If you can build the wheel cheaper why not do it? I will always build before I can buy when feasible.

I did some more digging and it isn't feasible in this case though, 4.6 mounting pattern isn't square like the 5.0.

I get where you are coming from - personally, I love building stuff. If given the option between building something or buying it, I'll gravitate towards building it every single time. With that said, and where ReplicaR is coming from, is that sometimes it's just not worth it. Everyone wants to save money, especially if you are the type that likes to do things yourself, but I highly suggest getting into a habit of trying to determine if it's actually worth it. I've done many things to cars over the years, and when I started I was like you (not trying to imply that you are "just starting", I'm just saying I was like that). I wanted to do everything myself, save as much money as possible. As I grew older (and I hope wiser), I realized that some stuff just wasn't worth it. Rather then spending time on some of the things I did, I should have just bought the part and moved on - I would have gotten more done on the car and I would I have enjoyed it more.

Now that I have the Mustang, I try very hard to employ this philosophy: I do as much as I can myself so I can get that satisfaction, but I also take the easy road and spend the money sometimes because I want this thing done so I can enjoy it. The hard part is determining where that line is. I applaud your desire to make something work - but in this case, just buy the 5.0 part and be done with it. It's not worth your time, or the small amount of money you might save. Put it in perspective: it's just a throttle body. No big deal...now, if you were talking about a turbo kit for example, then yes, please do obsess over the details there, because that will time well spent. But for a throttle body? Naw. Find a good used one if you want to save cash, call it a day. The challenge isn't just building something, the challenge is also deciding when it's the right time to build something...and when it's not.

Just my unsolicited advice from experience; if you choose not to take it, it will not hurt my feelings ;)

OP
OP
J

JKady

Reaction score
I'm well aware of the concept of when and where to spend money, I explain it to customers every day about their cars. In this case, if I could buy a 5.4 throttle body and slap it on my car with minimal/no extra work, it'd be worth it, but like I said I finally dug up good pics and it's not feasible in this instance. A good budget build is not about buying the cheapest parts possible, its about knowing when to fire up a drill press and grinder vs when to click "add to cart".

Gotta break eggs to make an omelette, this egg just happened to hit the floor instead of the pan. Oh well, exploder 5.0 TB's are equally cheap and I know they work with little fiddling.

RichV

Reaction score
An explorer t/b is an upgrade to a Fox, but not an SN. Just FYI. And the stock motor gets absolutely nothing from a big t/b, even a GT40 top end does not need a bigger t/b.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99