Post A Pic Of Your Ride As It Sits

tmwsccsh

Reaction score
are you going to santa pod next month
No afraid not. My next outing is the Hagerty Concours De L'Ordinaire somewhere in Lincolnshire at the end of July. Not showing, just looking, but the Mustang is coming along.

TMW

TrickVert

Reaction score
You're gonna love the difference
I can already tell just by holding it in my hands. The OEM wheel may as well be made from hard plastic at this point. The new one is thicker and grippier with just the right amount of "give."

The airbag and plastic covers are dyed, but the airbag black is darker and a higher gloss than the spokes of the wheel, and I'm hoping there's a way to make it match up better. The back cover also doesn't fit the spokes quite right. I contacted LMR yesterday and want to get their feedback before buttoning everything back up.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I can already tell just by holding it in my hands. The OEM wheel may as well be made from hard plastic at this point. The new one is thicker and grippier with just the right amount of "give."

The airbag and plastic covers are dyed, but the airbag black is darker and a higher gloss than the spokes of the wheel, and I'm hoping there's a way to make it match up better. The back cover also doesn't fit the spokes quite right. I contacted LMR yesterday and want to get their feedback before buttoning everything back up.

Hmmm, mine was a perfect match. Are you sure yours is black and not dark charcoal.

TrickVert

Reaction score
I got a replacement wheel from LMR yesterday, and it's the same in both color and fitment. I hit the spokes with some gloss tire shine last evening, and I can live with it. The outside of the steering wheel often doesn't match the inside, especially when it's perforated like this one, anyway. I think it will be fine.

IMG_20220630_204004309.jpg

IMG_20220630_203955486_HDR.jpg

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Many years ago I dyed a 10th anniversary cobra wheel to match my saddle tan/black interior and it came out pristine if I do say so myself. I think I got the material from LeatherWorld (they do OEM matching there). Something to consider.

Attachments

• Anniv wheel.jpg
    Anniv wheel.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 7

TrickVert

Reaction score
Looks great, Jeff! I'm going to put things back together like this for now. If it bothers me, I can always try something different. The only thing I think I could do would be to use something less glossy on the airbag, and to get it to match dead on would be a challenge. Someone suggested I try using a matte or satin clear coat on the airbag, but that's risky, too, since I'd have to #1 guess correctly at the gloss level, and 2) hope there's no compatibility issues that cause the finish to crack/craze/bubble.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
On the other hand, LMR sells factory color match vinyl-grade aerosol paints. I've used them and they are pretty damn good. Just the cleaning prep part is the most important.

Snorky

Reaction score
On the other hand, LMR sells factory color match vinyl-grade aerosol paints. I've used them and they are pretty damn good. Just the cleaning prep part is the most important.

These are grey, used them on my triple pillar pod in my charcoal interior. Match was and is still spot on. No chipping even after all these years

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online