Power lock GTS?

A_+

Reaction score
Has anyone one attempted to add power locks to their GTS?

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
What kit did you go with? I found some on amazon but most reviews say that the actuators didn’t last too long.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I tended to use DEI(viper, sidewinder, snake names) most of the time. The biggest part in making them last is to try and keep it so that the actuator isn't getting pulled to one side as it moves and that can be hard to do in a lot of cars. ours are not that bad to do

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Do you know if they require a relay module? I see the viper kit online as well as a few others and they don’t say anything about a relay.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if it requires a relay module or not will depend on which keyless/alarm/switch system you choose not by the actuator you choose. If you post links of what your looking at we can tell you yes/no what your looking at.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok again the first link is just the actuators. That is the motor that drives the lock rod up and down. It needs 12v on one wire, and ground on the other to move one way and if those wires are swapped it goes the other way. The keyless entry in the 2nd link will move them with the remotes included but if you want switches to drive them you would either need a 5-wire reversing polarity switch system like ford uses, or a set of basic switches and a relay box.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Ah! I wasn’t thinking. I think it’s time for me to go to bed [emoji58] thanks for the info

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can, but you will first need to find them in good enough condition to justify installing them. 2nd the stock location is a PIA to install inside the door. Between the difficulty in finding a set in good condition and the added install labor I would go with aftermarket actuators myself

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you will probably have 3-4 hours into the install on this project if you make good time. The 2nd door will take half as long as the first but between the two and wiring up power and running wires through the doors its a fairly in depth install for a beginner. I would recommend paying the premium for a good name to save yourself the time of later troubleshooting and replacing bad pieces. Check out DEI/sidewinder/viper/python/avital or compustar.

jjltthomas

Reaction score
Just let me trade you my loaded 98 for your no option GTS.
11aa505cd3521058ca1bccb7f56576ac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Why couldn’t you just use stock parts?

Agreed. I don’t see why it would take that long. It would definitely look nicer. Back then, Ford prewired a bunch of stuff. Probably just needs the two door lock bezels, the buttons, and the wiring harness from the door.

Does the GTS have power windows?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Agreed. I don’t see why it would take that long. It would definitely look nicer. Back then, Ford prewired a bunch of stuff. Probably just needs the two door lock bezels, the buttons, and the wiring harness from the door.

Does the GTS have power windows?
The stock actuator is located at the very bottom/back side of the door, inside the door. I am willing to bet it was one of the first things installed in the door prior to the door being installed. With the window out and in a flat surface I bet you could slap that puppy in pretty quick. With the window tracks, the window, door latch and the cable going to it in the way trying to put it in through a little hole with limited visability and ability to just get two hands in it at the same time I would go aftermarket.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The factory locks are a pain in the arse to get in and out. Get dei actuators and it’s very simple. Ttocs and I use to do those for a living and can vouch for them.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
The stock actuator is located at the very bottom/back side of the door, inside the door. I am willing to bet it was one of the first things installed in the door prior to the door being installed.

1:44

The door is installed first, then the glass, then a giant machine installed every other insane thing. I’m assuming that’s where all the magic happened. The full video doesn’t really show the door panels, or doorwiring, but at least it shows the rolls of sheets of steel being pressed into absolutely everything and how they get welded.

With the window out and in a flat surface I bet you could slap that puppy in pretty quick. With the window tracks, the window, door latch and the cable going to it in the way trying to put it in through a little hole with limited visability and ability to just get two hands in it at the same time I would go aftermarket.

I have little women hands, so that helps, but I’ve also had to remove and replace a window regulator. I know it’s extra work with drilling and reinstalling pop rivets, but that sounds like it’s worth the extra hassle.

But evilcw311 said that you and him used to install these for a living, so maybe you guys know better than I about it, but factory will simply look better in this situation IMO. Only reason I’d use aftermarket is if I wanted the novelty of power locks, but still wanted to display the classicness of an actual car with no power locks. Also, being a GTS, despite it being a cheaper stripped-of every-option GT, wanting to keep the car original as it is a rare lesser known mustang variant, then I totally understand and respect that... ...just so long as you’re goal is to hide the buttons elsewhere.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
1:44

The door is installed first, then the glass, then a giant machine installed every other insane thing. I’m assuming that’s where all the magic happened. The full video doesn’t really show the door panels, or doorwiring, but at least it shows the rolls of sheets of steel being pressed into absolutely everything and how they get welded.

I have little women hands, so that helps, but I’ve also had to remove and replace a window regulator. I know it’s extra work with drilling and reinstalling pop rivets, but that sounds like it’s worth the extra hassle.

But evilcw311 said that you and him used to install these for a living, so maybe you guys know better than I about it, but factory will simply look better in this situation IMO. Only reason I’d use aftermarket is if I wanted the novelty of power locks, but still wanted to display the classicness of an actual car with no power locks. Also, being a GTS, despite it being a cheaper stripped-of every-option GT, wanting to keep the car original as it is a rare lesser known mustang variant, then I totally understand and respect that... ...just so long as you’re goal is to hide the buttons elsewhere.
Your welcome to try yourself with your itty bitty hands if you do not believe us. Would you like to put a link on where to get a new factory actuator mechanism then as well? Or are we going through all this to install a replacement from a 25 yr old used car?

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It will still look factory to anyone who isn’t taking your door apart.

Do you often let random people take the door apart and look inside?? [emoji23]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.