Power lock GTS?

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Your welcome to try yourself with your itty bitty hands if you do not believe us. Would you like to put a link on where to get a new factory actuator mechanism then as well? Or are we going through all this to install a replacement from a 25 yr old used car?

Aftermarket factory replacement:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-21842BR/1994-98-Mustang-Door-Lock-Actuator

OEM:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-21842B/94-98-Mustang-Door-Lock-Actuator

But I was assuming factory wiring/buttons were needed. If the dealer still carries them, and they’re too pricey, I imagine there are specialty salvage yards that could get you the part, but it’s probably best that you find and pull it yourself, because they may just cut the wires, not wanting to deal with the hassle you speak of.

It will still look factory to anyone who isn’t taking your door apart.

I was thinking about the buttons. Forgive me if I misread, but I did not see where factory door pull bezels and buttons were to be used. You can solder wires together from behind if you’re dead set on aftermarket, but I didn’t see anything about the actual cosmetic look of the finished mod.

Last edited:

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Aftermarket factory replacement:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-21842BR/1994-98-Mustang-Door-Lock-Actuator

OEM:
https://lmr.com/item/LRS-21842B/94-98-Mustang-Door-Lock-Actuator

But I was assuming factory wiring/buttons were needed. If the dealer still carries them, and they’re too pricey, I imagine there are specialty salvage yards that could get you the part, but it’s probably best that you find and pull it yourself, because they may just cut the wires, not wanting to deal with the hassle you speak of.

I was thinking about the buttons. Forgive me if I misread, but I did not see where factory door pull bezels and buttons were to be used. You can solder wires together from behind if you’re dead set on aftermarket, but I didn’t see anything about the actual cosmetic look of the finished mod.

You wouldn’t use buttons. If your putting doorlocks in on a car that didn’t have them just use an alarm like a vyper or something. You can set it to lock upon starting and unlock upon turning the car off. Then you have the remote to lock and unlock. Otherwise you could use a couple momentary push buttons to lock and unlock and hide the buttons out of sight.

Then the car still looks like an original gts but has power door locks.

With the factory style actuators you’d need the factory style switches. The reversing polarity system ford used on its locks was unique so you’d need a lot more parts to make them work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I read a while back that if my mustang had power locks, there would be a box in the trunk close to the fender. Well, I never found the contraption so I just assumed that I didn’t have power locks. FFW to yesterday, I took the door panel off, lo and behold there was an old actuator inside. Would it be possible to install the aftermarket actuator and just splice it in?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the box in the trunk is just the factory keyless. is the harness for the switches in there by the window switches?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you probably just need the switches installed but there is a chance that something else in the system is wrong if they pulled the switches and everything out.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
The wiring for the switch is getting power. I’m gonna check if the wires connected to actuator are getting power, when I get home.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the 5-wire reversing polarity system that ford used was great for them as it had less parts with no relays. unfortunately in a master/slave switch system though if you loose connection depending on where the locks will then do strange things like it might work on one switch, not the other or may only lock but not unlock. The had part is figuring out where the bad connection is.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I couldn’t even get the actuator mounted correctly. It would either lock or unlock and not both. This Texas heat made me throw in the towel....

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea I was not kidding that stock location was not made to be serviced and a total PIA to get to. It would probably be easier to get an aftermarket 5-wire actuator and mount it in an easier to reach location.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I ordered a 5 wire for the driver side. I spent so much time yesterday trying to figure out which wire has power. The wires running to the actuator don’t have power so I’m gonna try to splice into the PINK/YELLOW & PINK/GREEN for lock and unlock..I guess this brown wire and white wire are for an additional switch?

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if there is no power at the actuator them I am not sure replacing it will do much. I also can't say I would recommend splicing the pink/yellow pink/green as those are the actual lock/unlock power wires that you splice into with a keyless entry. I am not even sure what your trying to do? I can tell you from experience that if you do not integrate into that system correctly you will do more damage to it.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I ordered that keyless entry kit from amazon. I had some credit that I wanted to redeem, it was same day delivery and all the DEI stuff I came across was all refurbished. Plus, this is my first time doing this type of job so if I mess up or the system wears out prematurely, at least I’ll know how to do it again....I would like to splice it into the existing wires.

Well, I spliced it, nothing happened [emoji58]
I did what the directions said, grounded the black wire and ran the red to the battery and THAT worked. I really want to use these factory switches. I don’t know why it isn’t working if my spliced wires are getting power.
Maybe that’s what this brown and white wire are for [emoji848]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.