power steering pressure

alwill923

Reaction score
Is there a way to adjust the power steering pressure in the power steering pump? Checked the threads, couldn't find anything. Lots of info on the web on GM pumps nothing on Ford.
Thanks

OP
OP
A

alwill923

Reaction score
95 Would like to reduce the pressure to give more steering feel.

cobrazilla

Reaction score
oh ok. I thought you may have had an issue with the power steering fluid spraying out of the reservoir.

RichV

Reaction score
I wonder if you have some sort of issue, do you have the correct pump?

I know some race guys prefer the V6 p/s pulley. I can't say my stock pump/rack overdrive the steering.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think you are just trying to adjust the pressure so it's more like a manual rack? Something like newer cars these days that provide less assist the faster you go? Are you trying to go for something like that?

Not sure you have an issue - what's your motivation for asking? Just because? I think if we understood the motivation, we'd be able to either help troubleshoot or provide suggestions.

OP
OP
A

alwill923

Reaction score
I would like to have less assistance and have it feel more like a manual steering. I am looking into going electric. This would clean up the engine bay. I have read some articles on using a Toyota MR2 electric pump. I could put the pump under one of the wheel wells and just run lines to the rack. I think this is the way to go. Any thoughts?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well if you are looking for less assistance, the only way I can think of to go about it is to either find a manual rack that feels just fantastic (Flaming River maybe?) or go electric. Are you looking to reduce resistance all the time? I know some setups can get pretty sophisticated, altering resistance based on vechile speed, or steering wheel angle, etc. I'm not sure what's out there for aftermarket kits, you may have to snag something off of another vehicle like you suggested.

I'm not all that familiar with hydroboost, maybe someone here is - I know it's for brakes, but it combines power steering and brakes, uses the pressure from power steering to assist the brakes. There might be some configuration there that you can tinker with, maybe less pressure on the power steering side and more on the brake side or something, I don't know, but it might be worth looking into. Plus Ford used hydroboost on cars, so maybe a retrofit wouldn't be that bad? I don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would think using solid rack bushings and a u-joint (in place of the rag joint) would give you more feel too.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^ This is a good suggestion. For what it's worth, that's what I have. I have the MM solid aluminum bushings for the rack, and the MM solid steering shaft. My steering feels heavy - so much so that I had to check the PS reservoir yesterday to make sure it had fluid in there. I have 255 tires up front with 9" wide wheels. Personally, I really like the way the steering feels though there is certainly some vibration in the wheel now, but not bad at all. I also have a Momo steering wheel (not the stock wheel).

I guess it depends on whether you want to remove play in the wheel and call it done or actually decrease assistance.

OP
OP
A

alwill923

Reaction score
I am thinking of going electric. The power steering pump is ugly and takes up a lot of space in the engine compartment. This is a DD and I do not want to go manual. There are some kits on the web and I am going to investigate them. I could put the pump up in the fender well and run hydraulic hose for the pressure side. I am surprised that no one has done this or atleast there are no threads that I could find.
Thanks for all the replies

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah