Power steering pump SN95

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack someone else's post about power steering noise so here goes. When I got my sn95 a few years back I checked all fluids, changed the oil and filter etc. From time to time I checked fluids , changed air filter etc. One day a few months ago I was checking fluids and when I got into the power steering reservoir and looked closely the oil was very black. I removed the fluid with my suction pump and refilled, a few days later it was still black so did the suction thing again...there is a simple way to drain the system by disconnecting the lines beneath, but I decided for a few cupfulls of power steering fluid I would suction and refill until the fluid had an acceptable colour. I did this four times and finally had reddish/clear fluid. I added a small amount of PS stop leak. The pump was never what I would call noisy but it does seem to be much quieter. I 'm guessing that the fluid (by its colour) had never been changed in the 23 years of the car. I did the rear differential fluid change as well and I know the tranny was just changed by the gentleman I bought the car from. I now run synthetic in the crankcase. Perhaps noisy pumps can be quieted by a fluid change , keeping in mind other issues that can occur with Ford PS pumps. I used less than a quart and a half of fresh fluid to do the job , about $8 all told and I still have enough fluid to suck it out and refill it again.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I'm assuming the thread you're referring was mine. Definetly wouldn't have been a hijack if you replied with this. Useful info.

Do you happen to know how to drain it from the bottom? I am going to be flushing all my fluids (brakes, coolant, power steering) and dont want to have to suck out and replace the power steering multiple times

OP
OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, On YouTube there is a video on how to do this , fairly easy. Type in Mustang , Power Steering fluid change. You can see the whole process

Tillerman77

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack someone else's post about power steering noise so here goes. When I got my sn95 a few years back I checked all fluids, changed the oil and filter etc. From time to time I checked fluids , changed air filter etc. One day a few months ago I was checking fluids and when I got into the power steering reservoir and looked closely the oil was very black. I removed the fluid with my suction pump and refilled, a few days later it was still black so did the suction thing again...there is a simple way to drain the system by disconnecting the lines beneath, but I decided for a few cupfulls of power steering fluid I would suction and refill until the fluid had an acceptable colour. I did this four times and finally had reddish/clear fluid. I added a small amount of PS stop leak. The pump was never what I would call noisy but it does seem to be much quieter. I 'm guessing that the fluid (by its colour) had never been changed in the 23 years of the car. I did the rear differential fluid change as well and I know the tranny was just changed by the gentleman I bought the car from. I now run synthetic in the crankcase. Perhaps noisy pumps can be quieted by a fluid change , keeping in mind other issues that can occur with Ford PS pumps. I used less than a quart and a half of fresh fluid to do the job , about $8 all told and I still have enough fluid to suck it out and refill it again.
Good to hear about this technique. What PS fluid did you use?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online