power steering question

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of getting rid of power steering for a cleaner look. For those of you that did it was it one of those mods you wished you had not done afterwards or was did you not miss it after? Naturally I understand it will be harder to turn while at a stop but is it that bad?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I just got my manual rack put on, but I cant drive my car yet as the whole thing is still in pieces. Personally I don't think its going to be an issue. The look alone was enough to make me switch over!

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
If it's just a show pony and not a DD then I'm sure you can live with armstrong steering.

Turning using a manual rack is easier than using a pwr rack with the pump bypassed

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
never got into this before but I have heard the manual rack was better. Is that something from vatozone or do I need to go hit a junk yard?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Go for it. I personally wouldn't want to give up power steering.

Have you driven a vehicle w/out PS?
Minus well take out the PB if you're going for looks :p

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think LMR or AM might have them. maybe Summit or Jegs too.
I don't think you'll find anything in a junk yard since bout everything nowdays is PS

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its been probably 15 yrs since I drove a manual so I remember it which is why I was asking. Never owned a car that didn't have it so I was just hoping to hear from someone that does it to find out if its something they have wished they didn't do later.

JGcoupe

Reaction score
I have a Flaming River manual rack on my fox body. Once you get rolling it's not so bad. I've heard mixed reviews on the quick ratio so I just got the regular one.

I left PS on my 96 for hydroboost function and comfort. It's got an LS1 and the stock LS pump is plumbed into the system and works just fine.

kb1982

Reaction score
The flaming river manual rack is on my wish list also. Most of the vehicles I started off driving had manual steering, mostly smaller pickups like s-10s and my dodge ram 50. None of those required alot of effort to turn the wheels. The only problem I had was when I broke my right shoulder. I would turn the wheel while sitting still, then had to hold the wheel with my knee while I repositioned my hands to turn the wheel further. If you dont hold the wheel, it reverts back to the straight position. I imagine running real wide front tires like most people do now, would make it more difficult though, but I know it will be a breeze with running pizza cutters like I have. As long as your moving, it should be fairly easy. Heck with it, chuck the abs while your in there also lol. Hell my 05 saturn doesnt even have abs from the factory, just remember, pump the brakes for sudden stops.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My first 5 or so vehicles were manual and I didn't mind driving like that at all. Your arms may get a little toned from the workout :)

I considered doing the flaming river setup but scored a Terminator rack cheap so that idea went out the window.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online