power window problems

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I replaced the entire motor/regulator assembly really only because I already had the glass out and figured it was easier to do this far in and the old assemblies should have been on borrowed time after all this time. After I replaced the regulators I thought the window went up a little slower then I the old one but figured it was just a low battery or something as it was not horrible. Then I decided to replace the window seals since one was looking ratty and one got tweeked a bit while taking it off. Now with the new seals it goes up really slowly and then stops about 3" from the top and this is when its on the battery charger so I know its not a power problem. I thought maybe it was because the seals were new and just needed some time to work into the right shape but now about a month later it still stops 3" from the top. I have tried cleaning/greasing the window tracks, I tried loosening the bolts holding the motor thinkging maybe it was bound up, and tried to see if moving the window tracks would help anything but its still stopping 3" from the top. Anyone ever had this issue? At this point I am about to swap the factory regulators back in to see what happens but I really do not want to go through that crap now if I can help it. I think the seals are too tight as well but not sure...

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it has been. I traced the ground on the factory manual interestingly enough to a ground under the back of the center console but it was good. The motor is getting 13v when its on the charger but from what I can tell it just seems to be fighting how tight the seals are. The windows go up with them off but with them on they are so slow and then stop before reaching the top. The guys at lmr have been great about getting back to me and now have another set on the way in hopes it was just a bad pair of seals.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I read somewhere else once about someone having a similar issue and it was the seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
when we got to the point that they were going to replace them I figured that I could get a little rough with them and was able to squeeze the inner seal so that there was at least a little bit of a gap between the two. Prior to this they really did not only touch but were pressing against each other and after this it went up a little further. LMR has been great about getting back to me super fast(usually faster then I could get back to them) but they have also been swearing that this is the first time its ever happened.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
They usually are a stellar company to deal with. I hope you get it sorted out bud

Reaction score
Here's my experience. I worked in a friend's auto shop for three years and often windows that were slow just needed silicon sprayed onto the rubber seals. My SN95 convertible seemed to be slow too so I bought a can of spray silicone and I sprayed the window seals. Right away on the first try I could tell the windows went up and down faster and with ease. I also sprayed my '97 F150 windows and got the same results, faster up and down and with ease. Don't know if it will solve your problem but buying a can of spray silicone is easier than replacing the window parts.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Here's my experience. I worked in a friend's auto shop for three years and often windows that were slow just needed silicon sprayed onto the rubber seals. My SN95 convertible seemed to be slow too so I bought a can of spray silicone and I sprayed the window seals. Right away on the first try I could tell the windows went up and down faster and with ease. I also sprayed my '97 F150 windows and got the same results, faster up and down and with ease. Don't know if it will solve your problem but buying a can of spray silicone is easier than replacing the window parts.

I considered putting something on them but was afraid of both messing up the tint or just making a huge mess. I figured oil or something like that would be messy on the glass and thought about talcum powder but knew it would make a mess of the black seals. I just got the new seals a few minutes ago and am about to go try them out.

Reaction score
Just so you know spray silicon does not leave any kind of mess, it goes on and dries fast, I usually wipe it and make sure it is worked into the rubber, I usually put the windows down and spray the rubber to avoid getting any on the glass. The seals usually have a nice black sheen to them when they are sprayed. Let us know how the new seals work out

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Just so you know spray silicon does not leave any kind of mess, it goes on and dries fast, I usually wipe it and make sure it is worked into the rubber, I usually put the windows down and spray the rubber to avoid getting any on the glass. The seals usually have a nice black sheen to them when they are sprayed. Let us know how the new seals work out

are you just using something like a dash cleaner/shine or?

Reaction score
This product is" 3in1 Professional " trade name and it is labelled "Silicon lubricant". It also says quick drying no mess formula , safe on metal, rubber, wood and vinyl . I think I got it at CARQUEST but also think any hardware store or big box lumberyard would have it. I swear by this product

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online