powerdyne sc

96GTGREENVERT

Reaction score
Are Powerdyne SC's anygood? Anyone have any experience with these sc's?$2399 for an 8psi kit sounds a little low to me. Are these things junk? I have a 96Gt auto with 4.10s, CAI and catback. Just looking for around 300 ponies to the wheels. Will one of these powerdyne sc's get it done? Thanks for anyone that responds.

OP
OP

96GTGREENVERT

Reaction score
Hey quickstang when you say not as good do you mean not as reliable or do you mean not as powerful as the other brands? I am not looking to race a lot just trying to get about another 100hp give or take a few. This is going to be the extent of the mods on my car. Would it be just as easy to get the hp by doing h/c/i swap with like patriot stage IIs and a cam? Just trying to get an idea. Thanks for your help man.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Both, the efficiency is not as good and the power levels are low 8lbs on a powerdyne is like 5 or 6lbs on an A-trim. Everyone I knew that had one replaced it with a Vortech or Procharger.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
ive actually never heard the 8lbs being equal to 6 on any other blower, where did u get that from?

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Boost is a myth, volume is what matters. If you can find a compressor map, you should be able to compare it to the Vortech S- or T-trim compressor map to see where the "sweet spot" is in terms of volume and adiabatic (thermal) efficiency.

Given the goals you've mentioned so far, I'd just buy a good used Vortech S-trim kit off fleabay/corral.

Paul.

wickedcobra

Reaction score
Powerdyne runs off of a belt drive inside the casing. It breaks. And powerdyne is cheaply made. You will get what you didnt pay for.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
nes said:
ive actually never heard the 8lbs being equal to 6 on any other blower, where did u get that from?
S trim - T-trim just one easy example with the same name.

i still dont see where u discovered the 8lbs being equal to 6 lbs.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
just like paul said its volume. thats why people upgrade turbos. If it as more volume then it takes less pressure(boost) to reach a certin hp #.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
exactly, but thats the same with any supercharger. say if u add cams u tend to lose boost so you drop the pulley size to obtain the same boost numbers. the powerdyne is the same way, i just dont see what your getting at i guess. maybe im reading whats being said the wrong way...

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Sorry its hard to explain but a powerdyne does not flow as good.
for ex a stock mustang with a vortech w/ 8psi= 315hp
with a powerdyne it would take 10psi to equal 315.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
Sorry its hard to explain but a powerdyne does not flow as good. for ex a stock mustang with a vortech w/ 8psi= 315hp with a powerdyne it would take 10psi to equal 315.

I think I might know where quickstang was headed with this...

Although it's not exactly correct to say that a Vortech will make the same power at less boost, the Vortech will make it more efficiently.

One of the primary considerations that people should take into account when purchasing a compressor (be it turbo or blower) is the adiabatic efficiency of that compressor at a given pressure ratio. (boost pressure) Adiabatic efficiency is the ability of that compressor to pressurize incoming air while adding the least amount of heat to it as possible. Different compressors have different efficiency levels depending on how much air volume they are being asked to move (measured in cfm) and at what pressure ratio. (boost pressure)

While a powerdyne may be able to flow 800 cfm if you spin it hard enough, a Vortech YSi Trim will flow 800 cfm without breaking a sweat. Thusly, the Vortech will be much more efficient at pressurizing that volume of airflow without adding power-robbing heat to it. There's a lot more to this, but I don't feel like typing anymore.

I hope that gives you some basis of understanding.

Paul.

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Thank you for clearing that up for me... I was confused about what that meant.

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Paul said:
quickstang_1994 said:
Sorry its hard to explain but a powerdyne does not flow as good. for ex a stock mustang with a vortech w/ 8psi= 315hp with a powerdyne it would take 10psi to equal 315.

I think I might know where quickstang was headed with this...

Although it's not exactly correct to say that a Vortech will make the same power at less boost, the Vortech will make it more efficiently.

One of the primary considerations that people should take into account when purchasing a compressor (be it turbo or blower) is the adiabatic efficiency of that compressor at a given pressure ratio. (boost pressure) Adiabatic efficiency is the ability of that compressor to pressurize incoming air while adding the least amount of heat to it as possible. Different compressors have different efficiency levels depending on how much air volume they are being asked to move (measured in cfm) and at what pressure ratio. (boost pressure)

While a powerdyne may be able to flow 800 cfm if you spin it hard enough, a Vortech YSi Trim will flow 800 cfm without breaking a sweat. Thusly, the Vortech will be much more efficient at pressurizing that volume of airflow without adding power-robbing heat to it. There's a lot more to this, but I don't feel like typing anymore.

I hope that gives you some basis of understanding.

Paul.
Thank you, I couldn't figure out how to write what I was thinking.

OP
OP

96GTGREENVERT

Reaction score
So apparently NES is the only guy on here that backs a powerdyne. He does own one so he does have the first hand knowledge of having the parts in his car. However thanks to all who gave their advice. I just want to add about 100 HP to my daily driver. I thought the powerdyne would be an inexpensive way to do it. I was going to get a blower cam and add a powerdyne sc. Now from reading other posts I saw powerheads has a stage II pi swap kit for about the same price plus $400 for a hot street cam. Any body have any ideas what would be better? I dont race just wanted to make the car a little more fun to drive. Thanks guys for all the info.

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
the reason why i picked up my powerdyne, was because it only cost about half of what a new pi swap would have, i figured more power for less money. i would say not to pick one up for 2400, u can find a used blower of another kind for that price. and considering for 2400 u get no kind of a tune, and still need injectors and what not, u will spend about the same as a vortech brand new. just my 2cents, u find a good deal on one pick it up, if not i wouldnt bother with them. after its all said and done i will have about 1300 in everything for the blower, including tuning equipment, which is still less then what the swap would cost brand new :ass3:

OP
OP

96GTGREENVERT

Reaction score
I gotcha NES you went with it because for the price you paid you couldnt go wrong. That makes sense. I guess I will check out an S trim or a procharger. This guy I work with is telling me to go stage 2 PI swap with cams and it will be even better than with a blower. I thought driveability would be effected on the street going that rout. Anybody got the low down on that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online