PowerStop rotor/pad, race track review

RichV

Reaction score
So my 05 GT had a powerstop upgrade from AM, slotted/drilled rotors and powerstop pads at all corners. The rotors are stock size, stock calipers are used with the powerstop pads. The selling point of this setup is 'upgrade your brakes for big brake performance at a fraction of the cost'. On the street it had great initial bite when cold. One hing I'm still not used to is the tick in the pedal from the slots.

On track I was very leary and took it easy on the pads until I built up some confidence to go deep in the corners. The Brembo GT wheel/tire Pirelli Pzeros provided awesome grip and were very well balanced with the suspension and weight of the car, each lap I had more confidence and was pushing it harder and getting more speed. After about 6 or so laps, the brakes started to fade. It was a good gradual fade, so it warned yo it was coming. This is good because when fade just comes in and you have no brakes at 100+MPH, bad things can happen.

Pulled off the track, brakes were definitely smelling used. :D Let it cool, went out again a couple hours later. Expecting fade again, I pushed it pretty hard early on waiting for the fade to set again, to my surprise, it did not. I went hard the whole 20 minute session, not a sign of fade. Went out again after that with the same result. Any track pad has to be bedded initialy, and the bedding procedure I've always used is to gradually come up to temperature, then push the brakes hard until you start feeling fade, the let them cool off. Once bedded, they will not fade at race temperatures. It appears this is exactly what they needed, on the street there is no way to get the brakes hot enough for proper bedding, so that 1st track session is what it took.

The initial bite the pads had earlier is gone. You have a lot of pedal feel and can achieve threshold braking easily.

Overall, I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised how well they did. I'll run them until I run out of pad this season.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
Good info Rich.
Even street pads need bedded in as well.
Let us know if you get any cracking between the holes on the cross drilled rotors. I've heard stories of the cross drilled rotors cracking when used at the track.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
Good info! I've been looking at that kit to replace my rusting rotors and worn pads. This post may have just convinced me to by a set. :)

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

joekd

Reaction score
I had powerstop slotted only rotors with Wagner thermoquiet pads on my 96, they worked great on the street with just a tiny bit of noise when they were cold, pretty much dust free and fade free for all the driving I did

OP
OP
RichV

RichV

Reaction score
The pads are what make the braking system, and whatever compound that they use is definitely decent.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Glad to hear you like them Rich! I have PowerStop pads on my car as well.
Makes me more confident knowing that they're gonna be efficient around a track if I ever wanted to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
litelmac

Members online