preparation for the full pi swap

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
just getting my parts list together now, ill have the heads, cams, everything that is needed to install the intake, but what else do i NEED. i believe i can use my stock cam gears correct? and could i purchase the head swap kit from parkway performance and have everything? or is there more i need?? like i said just gettin a parts list together...

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
If the heads are still romeo you dont need new gears but you will need new cam gear bolts! and dont forget all of your gaskets!!

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
im wondering more about what all gaskets im gunna need, where i can get my cam bolts, where to purchase the whold shabang etc...

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Fluids, floordry, rtv black silicone, and front cover gaskets if the swap kit doesn't have it.
You may also need a tap for the second coolant sensor, depending on which crossover it has.

brake clean, and something to scuff up the deck is also helpfull.

I found it helpfull to put the bolts and stuff in paper cups, and write on it where they go.
less left over parts that way.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Fluids, floordry, rtv black silicone, and front cover gaskets if the swap kit doesn't have it.
You may also need a tap for the second coolant sensor, depending on which crossover it has.

I found it helpfull to put the bolts and stuff in paper cups, and write on it where they go.
ill already have the tap and everything, where can i pick up the front cover gasket? and can i reuse the valve cover gasket or what?

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If your valve cover gasket is in good shape then use it again...i've used mine several times.

You can get all the needed gaskets at your local Ford Dealership in the Parts dept or order the stuff from Randy over on www.modulardepot.com in the Ford Parts Forum section.

voidfinger

Reaction score
Dalamar said:

Why would you scuff up the deck? i thought that it would be better if it was nice and flat?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
voidfinger said:
Why would you scuff up the deck? i thought that it would be better if it was nice and flat?
to help the head gasket adhear.
they usually hit it with a disk, like a steel wool pad thingie, I'm not sure what it's called.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
If your valve cover gasket is in good shape then use it again...i've used mine several times.

You can get all the needed gaskets at your local Ford Dealership in the Parts dept or order the stuff from Randy over on www.modulardepot.com in the Ford Parts Forum section.

ive bought from randy before, i know how he is

i think i need to make a checklist of what i need

pi intake
pi heads
cams
cam gears
cam gear bolts
intake gaskets
coolant tube
alt. bracket
head gaskets
head bolts
valve cover gasket

anything im forgetting??

S

scarface

coolant nipple, and I would replace the waterpump while you are in there. Check your timing chain tensioners.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
coolant nipple?? on what, where does it belong?? im a 98 i dont think i need it...

S

scarface

some 98s do, some dont. its the nipple behind the waterpump, to the crossover tube.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nes said:
DropTopPony said:

pi intake
pi heads
cams
cam gears
cam gear bolts
intake gaskets
coolant tube
alt. bracket
head gaskets
head bolts
valve cover gasket

anything im forgetting??

You don't need to make a list if you deal with Randy...you tell him what you are doing and what you have and he will fill in the blanks with the parts you need.
When i did my PI Swap i had the heads/cams and just told Randy i was doing the swap and he sold me the rest of what i needed. I'm sure he has put together a parts list that he refers to.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
nes said:
DropTopPony said:

pi intake
pi heads
cams
cam gears
cam gear bolts
intake gaskets
coolant tube
alt. bracket
head gaskets
head bolts
valve cover gasket

anything im forgetting??

You don't need to make a list if you deal with Randy...you tell him what you are doing and what you have and he will fill in the blanks with the parts you need.
When i did my PI Swap i had the heads/cams and just told Randy i was doing the swap and he sold me the rest of what i needed. I'm sure he has put together a parts list that he refers to.

i did in the past, he said upwards 500... not gunna happen, im going blown lol

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
nes said:
DropTopPony said:
nes said:
DropTopPony said:

pi intake
pi heads
cams
cam gears
cam gear bolts
intake gaskets
coolant tube
alt. bracket
head gaskets
head bolts
valve cover gasket

anything im forgetting??

I'm confused...do you want the parts or not? You won't find them cheaper anywhere else...the head gaskets from Ford are like $100 each thats one of the reasons the misc parts are so expensive. You can substitute the Ford MLS Gaskets with FelPro MLS Gaskets and save some money.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
DropTopPony said:
nes said:
DropTopPony said:
nes said:
DropTopPony said:

pi intake
pi heads
cams
cam gears
cam gear bolts
intake gaskets
coolant tube
alt. bracket
head gaskets
head bolts
valve cover gasket

anything im forgetting??

I'm confused...do you want the parts or not? You won't find them cheaper anywhere else...the head gaskets from Ford are like $100 each thats one of the reasons the misc parts are so expensive. You can substitute the Ford MLS Gaskets with FelPro MLS Gaskets and save some money.

i actually changed the route i was going, for the amount of money i was gunna have in the pi swap i could save a few extra dollars and get a slightly used sc. so thats what im doing, ive heard from other forums i could do the headswap kit from parkwayperformance, but randy says they arent the same. so i just changed my plans...

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Getting Blown is never a bad thing...you will also see nice gains from just the PI intake and cams and stay at a more blower friendly compression.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
MustangMatt96GT said:
NES? didnt you already do the PI intake swap but it hasnt worked like 4 times?
yes i did, discovered my torque wrench was pretty fvcked up. no big deal, just bought a new one,but this time when i do the intake swap ill use the adaptor plates rather than rtv. but i must say after doing the swap all those times im a veteran at it lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online