preparation for the full pi swap

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
Fluids, floordry, rtv black silicone, and front cover gaskets if the swap kit doesn't have it.
You may also need a tap for the second coolant sensor, depending on which crossover it has.

brake clean, and something to scuff up the deck is also helpfull.

I found it helpfull to put the bolts and stuff in paper cups, and write on it where they go.
less left over parts that way.

that's a good idea but i used ziploc baggies. that way the bolts,etc don't get spilled and mixed. ;)

Dusstbuster

Reaction score
nes said:
MustangMatt96GT said:
NES? didnt you already do the PI intake swap but it hasnt worked like 4 times?
yes i did, discovered my torque wrench was pretty fvcked up. no big deal, just bought a new one,but this time when i do the intake swap ill use the adaptor plates rather than rtv. but i must say after doing the swap all those times im a veteran at it lol

I feel your pain, we had to put the manifold on 4 or 5 times with my swap due to some RTV issues...
I would say you should still do at least PI cams, if not VT or Comps if you're doing the SC route, otherwise your engine will have some breathing issues.

S

scarface

why did you guys have so many issues with the rtv? its two spots the size of your pinky nail? Did you not let it sit overnight before you added coolant and start it?

Dusstbuster

Reaction score
I had never used RTV before and never saw anywhere that said where to put the RTV or how long to let it cure. I used NPI gaskets so we had to seal the air ports, not the water ports. 1st 2 times I believe we put RTV along the whole gasket (retards), the last 3 times we did it properly but didn't realize that the #7 and #8 plug wires were swapped and was making it misfire and buck when in drive. We kept thinking it was leaking coolant so we would tear it down and redo it again only to have the same problem. It took like 8 pages of help on Stangnet before I looked at someones pictures a little closer and realized the stupidity of not labeling which plug wires went where.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
scarface said:
why did you guys have so many issues with the rtv? its two spots the size of your pinky nail? Did you not let it sit overnight before you added coolant and start it?

as i stated previously i had a bad torque wrench...

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
Well I just fired mine up today for the first time after swapping my intake, and no leaks so far! I let the Toyota FIPG silicon sit for more than 24 hours too! Here is how much I used and Casper98GT the one who has the write up showing to use PI gaskets and silicon with the coolant port mis match said that it was perfect, so I am going to try and get it a stick on MM so ppl know!

IMG_7774.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7780.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

voidfinger

Reaction score
oooo wow you took your water pump off to change the intake. Why did you do that? just to change it?

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
I had too! Because I have a 96 the nipple that goes through the water pump houseing out of the block towards the valley is different than the 98 and newer nipples, so I had to tap it out and replace it with a different one and the only way to do that was to take the water pump off! The nipple was really hard to get to move too!

S

scarface

Dusstbuster said:
I had never used RTV before and never saw anywhere that said where to put the RTV or how long to let it cure. I used NPI gaskets so we had to seal the air ports, not the water ports. 1st 2 times I believe we put RTV along the whole gasket (retards), the last 3 times we did it properly but didn't realize that the #7 and #8 plug wires were swapped and was making it misfire and buck when in drive. We kept thinking it was leaking coolant so we would tear it down and redo it again only to have the same problem. It took like 8 pages of help on Stangnet before I looked at someones pictures a little closer and realized the stupidity of not labeling which plug wires went where.
using npi gaskets was your biggest problem. Pi gaskets require VERY LITTLE rtv.

S

scarface

nes said:
scarface said:

I doubt that was the problem.... I have done the swap on 4 different cars, NEVER used a torque wrench on any of the swaps.

S

scarface

MustangMatt96GT said:
Well I just fired mine up today for the first time after swapping my intake, and no leaks so far! I let the Toyota FIPG silicon sit for more than 24 hours too! Here is how much I used and Casper98GT the one who has the write up showing to use PI gaskets and silicon with the coolant port mis match said that it was perfect, so I am going to try and get it a stick on MM so ppl know!

IMG_7774.jpg

IMG_7775.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7780.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg
thank you so much for posting those pics...maybe it will help people to understand why you should use the PI intake gaskets and how LITTLE amount of rtv that is used.

MustangMatt96GT

Reaction score
yeah I will post them in the PI swap thread sticky here in a minute! And BTW I didnt use a torque wrench ethier!

voidfinger

Reaction score
i used a torque wrench, mainly b/c i have a heavy wrenching hand :)

voidfinger

Reaction score
lol yea i would probably break a bolt off in the head or something :)

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
scarface said:
nes said:
scarface said:

I doubt that was the problem.... I have done the swap on 4 different cars, NEVER used a torque wrench on any of the swaps.

with the torque wrench, it clicks 2 times (atleast mine) when its at the torque rating, every time it would click 2 times, found out that my cousin had dropped it quite a few times and messed up the assembly... i only used that much rtv each time, and let it sit over night, i really shouldnt have even bothered with a torque wrench, but owell, u live and learn, im just gettting blown...

Dusstbuster

Reaction score
scarface said:
Dusstbuster said:
using npi gaskets was your biggest problem. Pi gaskets require VERY LITTLE rtv.

Yeah I realize that now, live and learn. If for some reason I ever have to take it off again I'll be using PI gaskets.

S

scarface

nes said:
scarface said:
nes said:
scarface said:

with the torque wrench, it clicks 2 times (atleast mine) when its at the torque rating, every time it would click 2 times, found out that my cousin had dropped it quite a few times and messed up the assembly... i only used that much rtv each time, and let it sit over night, i really shouldnt have even bothered with a torque wrench, but owell, u live and learn, im just gettting blown...
the pi intake compliments the blower very nicely.

OP
OP
N

nesqwick_05

Reaction score
scarface said:
nes said:
scarface said:
nes said:
scarface said:

the pi intake compliments the blower very nicely.

im sure it does, gains up to 30+ rwhp with the intake alone on a blown car, correct?? ill have one on there eventually, just a matter of time now, got the money together i think, just gotta find the time to take care of buisness :drunk:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online