Preparing used 302X heads - tips?

shovel

Reaction score
I'm getting started on these now for my '94 GT.. this is how they look "as received" - I'll be installing new valve stem seals and carefully removing the remaining material from the gasket sealing areas, and chasing all threaded holes.

I wouldn't mind cleaning them but I don't want to just throw them in an ultrasonic tank with water and potentially cause damage to the valve guides or something. Same with the rockers, I don't want to damage the bearings.

What do you recommend for preparing all this prior to install?
-ccW5c1RQncPNbznub87GeHug=w724-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg
pfHM6l0EenxFRnqLoaZMpvSw=w2288-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg
Bi9Q_9WkdtTWl4CA7DZ8pIQA=w2288-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg
FzplCm9uSl8PI2vOw5dEssuwA=w724-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Whatever you do is easier off the car than on it. But idk pushrod things so best of luck lol.

Is this what they would call a gt40x head?

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
Is this what they would call a gt40x head?

Yes. I am not an expert on SVO/FRPP lore but I think the X302 ones were sold as just the head (no valves) and X306 part numbers had valves/springs when sold new. I got these used a year or so ago and am just getting around to installing them.
These in particular have the script "SVO" machined into the front.

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
I spent some time last night outside (it's cold here!) scraping the gasket surfaces with brand new razor blades at the lowest possible angle, being careful to not nick or scratch anything. I didn't bother much with the combustion chamber or valves because they don't look all that bad to begin with and it's going to be a running engine soon enough.
I also cooked the rockers/pedestals/bolts in the ultrasonic and some mineral spirits to clean them out, going to re-clean the rockers by hand and a couple of them didn't feel 1000% smooth on their fulcrum bearings so I'm going to pay extra attention to them and disassemble if necessary. Before final assembly the rockers are getting a dip in Marvel to pre-lube the bearings again and of course assembly grease on every relevant surface during actual assembly.

S1kmLsZQc2F5BOB3FZd0nc0A=w2288-h1287-no?authuser=0.jpg
The heads themselves aren't filthy of course but I would love to get them down to truly bright aluminum, just not sure how to do that without damaging them. I guess I could take them to a machine shop and have them vapor blasted.. I don't think they're dirty enough to really make that worthwhile.
So I might just finish basic cleaning (to remove the dust from sitting on a shelf) and wipe them down with a soapy rag and call it good.

Wmac

Reaction score
From an old FRPP catalogue that I have, x302was the bare head, x303 was complete w/64cc chamber, x304 was bare 58 cc and x305 was complete head w/58cc.
X303 is likely cast into all x series heads.
Intake valves are 1.94", exhaust are 1.54". No info stated on the springs.
Can you measure a spring o/d? Are they single springs w/damper or dual spring w/damper?

OP
OP
shovel

shovel

Reaction score
Can you measure a spring o/d? Are they single springs w/damper or dual spring w/damper?

Sorry it took a while, I'm working slow right now - here's the spring OD and they appear to be the single spring + damper .

The springs on my stock GT heads did not have the damper.

Attachments

• spring.png
    spring.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Wmac

Reaction score
Although there was no specs on the springs in the heads, Ford did have a replacement for all the valve train for the GT-40 heads.
Part # M-6513-A50 (no longer available) was a single spring with damper, 1.006 ID, 1.500 od, 110# @ 1.820 closed and 240# @ 1.400 open.
Ok for stock hydraulic roller, but probably too light for any/most aftermarket hydraulic roller cams.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online