Pretty bad pinging only under acceleration.

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Pulled it out of storage put new 93 octane gas in and it's pinging pretty bad. Sounds less rhythmic like a knock and more like leaves in your blower vent. This video sounds exactly like it towards the end around 20 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xTWHJADFe8

It runs perfectly smooth outside of WOT. Idle is fine, and it will rev to the limiter while not under load no problem. Where should I start looking to fix?

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
Okay so I ran the 93 out and two CEL codes came out P0430 and P0420. Put new 93 in with octane booster and the ping is completely gone. So that's good, but I want to get these figured out.

I've got a BBK catted X so I don't think the cats are failing, so I'm thinking O2 sensors. Guy at the shop said that a MAF might throw both of those codes. Any ideas?

edit: Looked around the forums and it seems that its because high flow cats don't work well enough to satisfy the sensors threshold values so it throws these codes. Easy fix with some eliminators.

nightfire

Reaction score
You're detonating my friend. You're probably hearing it now as the temps heat up outside. Lower the timing or run higher octane.

OP
OP
Burninrock24

Burninrock24

Reaction score
why the need for octane booster too?
Have you changed the plugs and wires too?

Meh just tossed it in there to be absolutely sure that it was detonation, I don't plan on doing it with every fill up, just seemed like a decent way to narrow it down for sure.

Wires are probably 15,000 miles, spark plugs are a hair older.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online