Pretty much owned myself...

Downshift

Reaction score
Starting to do the 93 cobra intake swap on my car yesterday. Everything went fine until the last bolt on the lower. Well it snapped off.... :comando: It was the front bolt right next to the thermostat. I cant for the life of me get that damn thing out. I have tried drilling it and im guessing the drill just sucks but those damn bolts are STRONG. I am temped to just put a bunch of sealant over there and slap this bitch on. Its raining and I dont have a garage, and of course this is my daily driver so kinda dead in the water here. Anyone wanna help me out here? Thanks.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Did you try those screw/bolt extractors that they sell at Sears?

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
I tried some cheapo ones. The threads just came right off them. Tonight I got some machine oil and two metal bits so Ill give it another shot tomorrow. Damn thing is such a pain haha. Next post will be good or back to the drawing board haha.

ripper

Reaction score
Buy yourself an EasyOut kit. Its not cheap but next time you will be ready.

Maniak87

Reaction score
i did the same but on one of the longer bolts. i got lucky and it made its way out before it completely snapped.

good luck, an extractor should work.

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Ya so i think its a done deal. And not in a good way. Just went out there and tried as best I could and its just not going. One side of the bolt is still in there and making everything turn to shit. For some reason that part will not let anything drill through it or knock it off with anything. I tried putting the lower intake on semi tight and drill through the hole the bolt goes throught the intake to make a straight shot but that side piece just keeps messing everything up and it looks like im making a mess of my cylinder head. The bolt extractors dont even touch this thing.... I dont get it.

Any ideas. What about saying fuck it and throwing it on there anyway? Could I get away with it? I hate doing shit half ass like that but im to my limit with patience and time now.

White_5.0_GT

Reaction score
brain...no...we're gunna get that thing off somehow....no half assing it...this is an important job...lets take a look at the bolt extractors again dude...there's gotta be a way to get that damn thing out...

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
Come over here and look at this thing and then say that. This thing is fucking toast. Even if I got the rest of the bolt out the stupid ass threads on the heads start at an angle and now there is nothing for and type of bolt to thread into even if I got the thing out.

97blackgt

Reaction score
u should be able to get at it with a extractor...then when u get it out just use a helicoil if the threads are fubar

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
what happened when you tried drilling it? did you keep lubing it up? what kind of drill are you using?

badass98svt

Reaction score
Is there enough of the bolt broken off to where a new bolt would catch some threads?
Or is the bolt just broken off flufsh with the top?

ripper

Reaction score
Those bolts arent stainless are they? If they are you are f**ked

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
They are grade 8. I screwed it up pretty bad and drilling wasnt working so I said forget it and slapped it on. Its not all the way done I will finish tomorrow. Hopefully it wont leak. I did my best to get it down nice and tight and sealed up good so ill cross my fingers. I was using an older drill that I have seen go through pretty much anything so. I was using a metal drilling bit and I kept lubin it good haha and still got basically no where except make a mess of it so thats that for now.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
sounds like good old enging fun!

Make sure you put anti sieze on those things when they go back in.
good luck.

FIVELITERS

Reaction score
DAMN DUDE! That sounds like it sucks HARDCORE! :eek:

Hope everything works out for ya bud. O0

OP
OP
D

Downshift

Reaction score
FIVELITERS said:
DAMN DUDE! That sounds like it sucks HARDCORE! :eek:

Hope everything works out for ya bud. O0

Haha ya I was pretty pissed off for the better part of the day. I just kept trying and I was making some progress but at the rate it was going I wouldnt have a car for another week. So I said screw it and did the best I could to compensate for that bolt not being there.... Ill just cross my fingers tomorrow when I fire her up :noes: . Thanks for the help though guys.

916_5.0

Reaction score
Yeah thats pretty gay dude that bolt was pretty much beat to shit. Drilling it wasnt going hardly anywhere. Hopefully it sat down nice and tight i thought we got it on there pretty snug though.

riored96gt

Reaction score
I know its too late now, but machinist tool places (not Harbor Freight) have left hand drills just for extractors, some even have kits with drills that match the extractor.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Go start her up and let us know how it all works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online