Probably have a short 94 gt

tm8004

Reaction score
So I got a 94 gt and my speedometer, odometer, and tachometer all don't work. I believe that I should have a short or messed up wired somewhere, but can anywhere specify where? Also the battery power is very weak I know I have a parasitic drain somewhere, I don't know if this is just a cause of the short somewhere. Finally my lights inside the car don't work that also means the instrument cluster lights, when I turn on my headlights, at night my car is pitch black inside. I have changed the vss and instrument panel. When I switch the instrument cluster my oil and gas were broken and it did fix it, but the tachometer stopped working in the new one.
The main issue I have is just the odometer, speedometer, and tachometer. Everything else is just side information maybe to help resolve the issue faster. Thank you I really appreciate any feedback, I've fixed other problems in the car mostly mechanical but when it comes to electrical and using a multimeter I fail.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Did you check your fuses? Otherwise it sounds like you have a wiring gremlin somewhere.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
fuses are always the first place to start when chasing electrical gremlins. Don't bother with the manual just get your head under the dash and start pulling and checking till you have checked them all. Trust me it takes less time and then we can be sure they are good. Also be sure to check the box under the hood. After that though the tach/odometer problems could also be the gears inside the speedo.

start with fuses and then we can go into the dash if we need to.

OP
OP
T

tm8004

Reaction score
So I checked all the fuses and yes they were good. I know there is a worm gear for the odometer and the reason I haven't gotten it yet was due to the speed/tachometer being out.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am not sure how all of them are linked really short of bad connections(plural). Another possibility I have seen is a bad connection where it plugs into the gauges. Next place to look is there and its not hard to get out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online