Problem installing Stifflers crossmember

A_+

Reaction score
The job seemed like a simple swap but I must be doing something stupid for these holes not to match. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?!
c6d7f593d15942395077ec7eedfe98df.jpg
1bcb0a01be8ca8b2c0cd06a4ac445969.jpg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
[MENTION=9659]95opal[/MENTION] I think is the only one on here with this piece. Maybe he can give some insight.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Dang, I was thinking a lot more of you guys would be running this piece. I couldn't find a stock crossmember so this was the next best thing.

1bad95

Reaction score
I'm running one on my 98, like royal said, did you try flipping it? Positive that you received the correct cross member?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I had wondered that myself but figured it either fit one way, or the other or it don't fit at all.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Flip it around? The crossmember? Like, have the stifflers sticker face the front of the car?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its worth a try. If the sticker designates which way it faces it would be really easy to slap one on upside down.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Man, I think you might be right....I hope you are. On the directions provided, that little tray that holds the mount in place, is pointing towards the front of the car. Maybe I was just supposed to use that as an example.

Royal96

Reaction score
I had wondered that myself but figured it either fit one way, or the other or it don't fit at all.
Nah, the way the crossmember bolts in, you could bolt it in backwards, just not to the trans.

Flip it around? The crossmember? Like, have the stifflers sticker face the front of the car?
The sticker facing the front makes more sense to me anyways.

1bad95

Reaction score
Any luck getting it figured out?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of things that didn't seem to make sense but went together that way. There is only really 4 ways it can fit. Try them all and if it doesn't fit them ya know it doesn't fit.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
I'm gonna check it out as soon as I get home tonight. I'm thinking I just didn't bolt the mount in the right location. I bolted it back up to the plate (the one with the hangers) when I needed to bolt it to the the side of the plate that is bolted to the transmission. I think the crossmember is pointing correctly....I'll be sure to post the results.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
So I ended up doing like I said, relocated the trans mount behind its original location on the plate and it's now directly bolted to the transmission. the install is said to be simple but idk if it was only me but I had to disconnect my exhaust to slide his this thing in. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow, hopefully I hear, feel some improvement. It's advertised to give more clearance for bigger exhaust, didn't do much for me.....
b632aec0a0a968afd4b50dff13a4bd68.jpg

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
It's a crossmember. Some of the reviews I read made this piece sound like i was going to feel a drastic change in shifting. It was also supposed to give my exhaust more clearance, it did not. It holds my trans, I guess that's good.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
Oh yeah, idk bout how much but it is lighter

Addermk2

Reaction score
you were supposed to just completely remove that plate. it's put there from the factory to make up for the difference in length between a manual trans, and an automatic.

OP
OP
A_+

A_+

Reaction score
you were supposed to just completely remove that plate. it's put there from the factory to make up for the difference in length between a manual trans, and an automatic.

Really!? But it has exhaust hangers? So I guess I'm just supposed to let the exhaust hang? The directions included did not mention this. I might try doing this. It starting to feel like the trans is hopping, when at high rpm. I swear, I'm getting closer and closer every day to selling this thing.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online