Problem with gas filling, NOT charcoal canister

laramik

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 98 convertible GT for my daughter on Christmas. After I drained the tank I went to go fill it up and it took me nearly 20 minutes because the pump keep shutting off as if my evap canister was clogged. Took everything apart heading to the EVAP canister and the lines are clear as can be and I can easily blow through the charcoal canister. Also reconnected everything and blew directly through the vent tube that attaches to the tank and you could clearly feel the air coming through to the evap canister and put the purge. Only thing I can think of is that the fuel filler neck anti siphon check valve is somehow broken? The car only has 67,000 miles on it and not a speck of rust so I know it's not the neck being corroded. Any ideas on what this could be that I might be overlooking before I spend a hundred plus on a new fuel filler neck. Any ideas or help is much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Oh and if this should be posted under tech just lmk. Didn't quite see where in there would work.

Silver95bird

Reaction score
I don't know why you would think the charcoal can would affect fill-up, but yes I'd start to wonder if the filler neck had some kind of debris in it that was messing with the check valve.

If you change it, buy a new seal where the filler neck goes into the fuel tank. My cars were 2/2 for those going bad. Don't have to do the job twice.

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
The gas tank vents through the evap canister is my understanding. If clogged, it will cause the same symptoms.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My car doesn’t have charcoal lines. Hadn’t for years and it always filled up fine.

It’s an issue with your filler neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online