Problems with idle on 95 GT

Mustangsupra

Reaction score
its a 95 GT with 103,000 miles, it has a systemax upper/lower intake, a bbk 70mm throttle body, a edelbrock intake elbow, bbk fuel pressure regulator, and 24lb injectors.

Alright the problem is that it idles at 2000-2500 rpms, clutch in or out.. dont know what else to put down thats basically it. If someone could let me know of a few things that might help, or completely stop it that would be great. If you need more info on the car let know what, and i will answer best i can.

thanks

Jeremy

SvtBlack95

Reaction score
ok i notice you have 24 lb injectors is your maf calibrated for the injectors ??? and the holley systemax have really big ports do you have after market heads that match the intake??? you should also check for vacuum leaks make sure all connectors are in and secure... let us know :thumb:

94TURBO5 0

Reaction score
SvtBlack95 said:
ok i notice you have 24 lb injectors is your maf calibrated for the injectors ??? and the holley systemax have really big ports do you have after market heads that match the intake??? you should also check for vacuum leaks make sure all connectors are in and secure... let us know :thumb:
What he said. :thumb:

When did it start doing this??

OP
OP
M

Mustangsupra

Reaction score
i bought it with this problem(which was yesterday), the guy also said he thought it had a blown headgasket, but i drove it an hour and a half home and the temp never got to the red. Just the very right side of normal, but stayed for the most part under the halfway point. I dont know if the MAF is calibrated, i never really thought to ask, for that matter how do i know if i really have 24lb injectors. I will check as many connections and hoses as i can.

thanks for the info

jeremy

94TURBO5 0

Reaction score
You may want to try and ask the seller when it started or what he thinks contributes to it doing it. I'm sure he has some clue and that'll help pinpoint it better b/c it could be something simple. If the 24's are in there with the stock meter for the 19's then you're gonna need a new maf or get it calibrated.
It could be that the air idle screw on the tb is ajusted improperly, or the idle screw on the linkage.
It could be the butterfly on the tb has gunk on it from sucking in a little oil and it's not seating properly, etc... :thumb:

94TURBO5 0

Reaction score
Are you losing any coolant or smoking from the tail pipes?
You can drain the oil to see if it's mixed. My stock gauge is usually on N or O and my autometer is reading *210 and the 04 PMS reading is *206. Stock gauges are not accurate.

OP
OP
M

Mustangsupra

Reaction score
it only smoked twice, both times at idle (and only for a second). It does burn coolant, the coolant does not leak at all so it has to be burning it off. And a new develpment....i found that the pcv (pvc?) valve is not connected to anything. There is a hose that comes out of the pcv valve and then goes into a T connection. The T connection has one hose sticking off it going no where and then nothing on the other connection. I looked for a place to connect it to the upper manifold but could not find one. I also could not figure out where the other side goes either. It has been about a year since i owned a 5.0 and i cannot remember what that motor looked like back there. Plus it was a 91 and seems to me to be different then this 95.

oh and it has stock heads (supposedly)

and also there is coolant in the oil......i will probably be replacing the head gaskets.......

thanks

jeremy

oh and finally the owner doesnt know if it has a calibrated MAF......the idle problem started about 2 weeks ago and he has no idea whats wrong with it. :mad:

94TURBO5 0

Reaction score
Yeah sounds like the hgs are causing the problem. He may have deleted the pcv hose but it's supposed to connect to the upper. The systemax is way to big for your na set-up.

95 Sleeper

Reaction score
I wouldn't drive it anymore until you fix the blown Head gasket.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online