Problems with new setup during my dyno tune

hottwheels04

Reaction score
I have a built 306 c.i motor and I just changed my cam to a comp xe274hr from a smaller ford racing cam, everything else is same in my setup - the cam and was running fine,so now I have a few major problems popping up, 1st my tuner can not get my car to run right with a new tune, he has burnt several chips and the car still has tons of problems with idle etc,One min it ran fine then next min runs like SH*T, He called me to say that I might have a fried computer and I have to put a new computer unit into my car then put in and try my chip in that computer and hope that fixes my problem.

he said the car was going fine on the dyno but notiched I lost tons of power after my cam swap that something is wrong, and My new cam's rpm range is good for 2,200-6,200,But my problem is its only making 281rwhp @ around 5,000 rpm's, my car before was putting down a steady 330-360rwhp, He also noticed my injector wiring is cracked and was touching so he suggested replacing my injector wiring harness, and maybe a better intake that will allow my cam to break into its power band of 6,000+rpms where it needs to be to make my power with that cam.

Do you think my injector wire problem and computer problem is why my car is losing tons of power? he suggested me ditching my upper street heat intake for a track heat and finding a new piggy back injector wiring from a junk yard etc to replace my and install my new computer and a new chip and put it back on the dyno. so where could I find the injector wire harness and how much $ etc??

My setup as below is

MODIFICATIONS:
stock 95 truck block.
refreshed.
Decked block
bored .30 over ( 306 c.i)
Speed pro hyper pistons notched
(higher compression)
ARP bolts. all around.
Felpro Gaskets all around.
Comp xe274Hr Cam
(Trick flow track heat .600 lift valve spring upgrade)
Trick flow Twisted Wedge aluminum heads
CNC PORTED.
Ford Racing 1.6 roller rockers.
Trick flow street heat upper and lower intake manifold.
(port matched lower intake)
edelbrock sn95 intake elbow.
BBK 75mm Throttlebody
mac cold air intake ( k&n filter)
Pro-m 75mm mass air meter.
Ford racing 24lb injectors
automotive fuel regulator
trick flow 255lph fuel pump
ford racing 180 degree t-stat.
aluminum radiator.
bbk underdrive pulleys
MSD distributor / ford racing plugs-wires.
ford racing shorty headers.
bassani bx -x-pipe with hi flow cats
SLP LM1 catback exaust
ford racing 3.73 gears.
Tremec tk0-500 transmission
MGW ORANGE SHORT SHIFTER
spec stage 1 clutch
(ford racing Heavy duty TOB AND HD PILOT BEARING)
spec aluminum flywheel
ford racing aluminum driveshaft
ford racing foxbody style clutchfork
ford racing clutch cable

previous best 2 pulls with smaller cam it put down on a race tune 361rwhp and 320rwtq
on a 93 octane pump tune it made around 330rwhp

Now I put in a new bigger cam and it only put down 281rwhp 313rwtq. and its only making power around 5,000-5,5500 rpms.

The numbers are Horrible!I cant belive that big of a drop in power, the cam should be making power from 5,500-6,200rpms+

I was wondering if the injector wire harness problem and computer could make it run like SH*T yet on the dyno seem fine but only make power @ 5,000 rpms.

Thanks
Jeff

I mean on my stock 130k mile worn out 302 5.0 in my car with the out of the box trick flow heads cam intake on stock compression etc, my car put down 273rwhp and 273rwtq untuned and tune only it put down 300rwhp 310rwtq, now I have a rebuilt 306 with high compression/new pistons, ported trickflow heads and intake, way bigger cam,bigger throttlebody low miles dyno tune etc and it lost tons of power I dont get it and same exact motor / setup just put the new comp cam in and it makes that for power :(

for instance a friend of my just did the same trickflow h/c/i on his stock 94 cobra and he put down 310rwhp 327rwtq,and thats a stock 100k mile stock motor lower compression unported trickflow heads and intake with the tiny trickflow stage 1 cam ..

So where can I get the injector harness/wires?

do the 3 problems of the intake,computer and injector harness sound right to it dropping off @ 5,000 rpms and the horrible power loss? even if the same intake on a smaller cam before would pull to 6,000 rpms and ran fine on the old tune? all the problems he told me it had did sound like a computer problem,So i hope the new computer and retune will fix most the problem

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online