Procedure for replacing airbags that have gone off

tykempster

Reaction score
I have new impact sensors, and a driver's and passenger bag. What do I need to do to reset the system so they don't go off again? Thanks everyone.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Don't forget to reset the module. Theres a connector under the glove box that you have to jump 2 wires. Its usually a code 52 or 51 can't remember. There are some great videos on youtube for it. Just google mustang airbag reset

stock

Reaction score
Don't forget the clock spring, and its recommended to replace the module as well.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
I've been told the module does not need replacing?

How can I see if my clock spring is ok? I have heard it is iffy whether it made it or not.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Anyone else have experience with this?

ok, I was hoping someone else had exp with it that would save me from having to dig out my mustang bible and read. I hate to read unless there are a lot of big colorful pics and while the cover is a nice orange, the pics inside leave something for me to desire. BUT I went down to the garage and dug it out thinking that I would make a sticky in the electronics section for future use all nice and official. after 30 mins of digging around through it, the reconnect instructions are literally just disconnect the +/- on the battery(even though only one side should suffice I would do both as well), make sure all the sensors(2 on the core support) the air bags(2 there as well) and the computer are all plugged in. Then reconnect the battery and turn the key on. The airbag light should light up for 6 secs and then go out. If there is a bad sensor or connection somewhere there is a code sequence to read it and diagnose it and if that is the case there is about 40 pages of diagnosis stuff I can go through. But from what I can read if there is a problem anywhere in the system it basically shuts everything down and it will beep when you turn the key on.

So disconnect the battery, plug it all in, and then connect the battery and try the key. If we need to go through the diagnostic we can but lets hope we don't.... its long(and no good/big/colorful pics = :( )

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
Alright man, thanks for your help. I'm going to put the equipment in today and report back.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
After changing airbags...THEY DIDN'T GO OFF! But now I have a solid check engine light and the airbag light blinks 1..2......1...2......1..2... I tried to jumper the connector under the glove box but it didn't make a noise and clear the light like I've seen online.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
ok then into diagnostics we go. The sequence that if flashes is important. the example it gives is for code 32

flash flash flash(2 sec pause)
flash flash(5 sec pause).

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
It's definitely flashing a code 12. Seems I have a blown fuse from googling the issue?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
says code 12 is a low battery voltage. It says it monitors the voltage on pin 14 of the computer hrns and if it drops below a certain point then it trigger the code. of the possible causes for this it mentions a fuse so lets start there and go check your fuses both under the dash and the hood. Just go pull/inspect each one don't even bother with the manual it takes longer. If that doesn't do anything you might try disconnecting the battery and then try to disconnect the bags/computer/sensors and inspect the hrns to make sure they look good and then plug them back in. If that still isn't working we might need to start testing wires...

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
I think it's a fuse. A guy on Corral told me the horn will stay on after a crash until a fuse blows and it stops (exactly what happened), I'll get the fuse tomorrow and report back.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
Found the blown fuse. Replaced it with a spare that was in the fusebox cover and it still shows the same code after unplugging the battery for a bit :(

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
inspect all the wires and hrns's at the sensors/bags and the airbag ecu. If those are all good we might need to start probing wires to test for voltage to figure out where the problem is. Do you or a friend have a voltmeter and know how to use it?

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
I have a voltmeter but I'm far from experienced. Tell me what to probe and I can take pics though.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
My clock spring seems to be bad though. Horn and cruise aren't working.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like a place to start but from what I am reading it should not have to do with the err that was listed.

OP
OP
T

tykempster

Reaction score
Well then we'll skip clock spring for now. Was told there could be more fuses blown and to check all of them...will report back. It runs and drives good though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online